WARNING: Clip above contains offensive language and imagery and may not be suitable for all viewers.
It’s been exactly 40 years since the release of the landmark film, “The Mack”, starring Max Julien and Richard Pryor. “The Mack” was released in 1973 and was the only major writing credit for writer Robert J. Poole.
Set in Oakland, Ca., the film surrounds the life of John “Goldie” Mickens, a street hustler turned pimp. Goldie sets his sights on becoming the most notorious pimp in the city. Throughout the film, he addresses ways to control the women under his direction through emotional and intellectual connection and stimulation.
“The Mack” was considered one of the first films of the era to deal with socioeconomic issues in the black community, addressing Black Nationalism and drugs. Both of the focuses were presented as alternative lifestyles for Goldie’s character within the film. While it was called a blaxploitation piece, some labeled it as a melodrama with social commentary.
The film’s language and the term “mack” created long-lasting language that is still used in the music and film industries. The term “mack” was originally taken from old French street language term “the mec”, which means “dude” or “pimp.” The film’s soundtrack by Willie Hutch reached number 17 on the R&B album chart in 1973.
While already a classically trained working actor, Max Julien, who had been seen in films with Jack Nicholson and Candace Bergen, was the recipient of an NAACP Image Award for Best Writer of the Year (Thomasine and Bushrod) in 1974. He took a sabbatical from acting and became a sculptor. Several of his pieces were housed in the Pacific Design Center of Los Angeles.
The resource website IMDB.com reported that Julien is currently designing a line of hand-painted clothing & accessories, which is already in circulation on the hip-hop scene, and working toward his own cologne, a video game, autobiography and Broadway show about his life and experiences, including his friendship with the activist Huey P. Newton during the production of “The Mack”.
In 2002, Director Laura Nix released the documentary “Mackin Ain’t Easy”, which went behind the scenes of “The Mack”, introducing background details of the legendary film’s development.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25