Kinzie Barlow’s (pictured at left) 3-year-old boy, Khonor (torso pictured), is lucky to be alive after her exploding electronic cigarette set his car seat on fire, which left the child with first- and- second-degree burns throughout his body, according to Fox 13 News.
The Provo, Utah, Mom told Fox 13 she was driving along a road on Friday when she began noticing an offensive odor in the car. After a loud bang, Barlow reportedly saw a flash of light and the vehicle’s cabin filled with smoke.
According to Barlow, after her e-cigarette literally exploded in her car’s charger, a white-hot copper coil ricocheted off the ceiling and wound up in Khonor’s car seat.
Barlow told Fox 13 that the e-cigarette’s coil actually burned through the car seat’s fabric and even melted the hard plastic that surrounded it.
The flames that reportedly shot out from the heated coil made contact with the toddler’s torso. Barlow told Fox 13, “He was screaming and saying, ‘Mom, get me! Get me!”
The frantic Mom tried extinguishing the out-of-control flames with her shirt sleeves, but they were useless because they, too, caught fire. Barlow then grabbed some iced coffee, which was in her cup holder, and doused her baby with it, finally putting out the flames. “I was shaking by the time it was all over and done with,” Barlow told Fox 13.
Watch news coverage of the e-cigarette incident here:
Provo’s Fire Marshal Lynn Schofield, believes that Barlow’s e-cigarette did explode because she had witnessed episodes like this before, stating, “[The charging e-cigarette] was attended. It was a catastrophic failure of the device,” Schofield said. “And fortunately only minor burns, but painful burns. This is the second time it’s happened in Provo,” Schofield said. “This is the first time we’ve had an injury.”
Schofield, who suspects that the device was faulty, reported the incident to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission on Monday, with the inspector even adding that Barlow had been using the appropriate charger for the electronic cigarette and not an after-market charger.
Barlow told Fox 13 that had she known about the potential dangers of the electronic smoking cessation device, she would never would have purchased it and will never buy one again.
Meanwhile, Khonor, who was in “remarkably good spirits” a day after the incident, talked about the burns he sustained on his elbows, back, and buttock, saying that while the burns hurt, he will, according to his mom, be just fine.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading 3-Year-Old Boy Catches Fire When Mom’s E-Cigarette Explodes