Kinzie Barlow’s (pictured at left) 3-year-old boy, Khonor (torso pictured), is lucky to be alive after her exploding electronic cigarette set his car seat on fire, which left the child with first- and- second-degree burns throughout his body, according to Fox 13 News.
The Provo, Utah, Mom told Fox 13 she was driving along a road on Friday when she began noticing an offensive odor in the car. After a loud bang, Barlow reportedly saw a flash of light and the vehicle’s cabin filled with smoke.
According to Barlow, after her e-cigarette literally exploded in her car’s charger, a white-hot copper coil ricocheted off the ceiling and wound up in Khonor’s car seat.
Barlow told Fox 13 that the e-cigarette’s coil actually burned through the car seat’s fabric and even melted the hard plastic that surrounded it.
The flames that reportedly shot out from the heated coil made contact with the toddler’s torso. Barlow told Fox 13, “He was screaming and saying, ‘Mom, get me! Get me!”
The frantic Mom tried extinguishing the out-of-control flames with her shirt sleeves, but they were useless because they, too, caught fire. Barlow then grabbed some iced coffee, which was in her cup holder, and doused her baby with it, finally putting out the flames. “I was shaking by the time it was all over and done with,” Barlow told Fox 13.
Watch news coverage of the e-cigarette incident here:
Provo’s Fire Marshal Lynn Schofield, believes that Barlow’s e-cigarette did explode because she had witnessed episodes like this before, stating, “[The charging e-cigarette] was attended. It was a catastrophic failure of the device,” Schofield said. “And fortunately only minor burns, but painful burns. This is the second time it’s happened in Provo,” Schofield said. “This is the first time we’ve had an injury.”
Schofield, who suspects that the device was faulty, reported the incident to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission on Monday, with the inspector even adding that Barlow had been using the appropriate charger for the electronic cigarette and not an after-market charger.
Barlow told Fox 13 that had she known about the potential dangers of the electronic smoking cessation device, she would never would have purchased it and will never buy one again.
Meanwhile, Khonor, who was in “remarkably good spirits” a day after the incident, talked about the burns he sustained on his elbows, back, and buttock, saying that while the burns hurt, he will, according to his mom, be just fine.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25
Continue reading 3-Year-Old Boy Catches Fire When Mom’s E-Cigarette Explodes