In an interview with the Daily News, the Rev Al. Sharpton said the Network feels Ingram is best suited to replace Mallory. “She has shown the perfect balance,” Sharpton said. “You need someone that knows how to organize rallies and also knows how to talk to congressmen. We need an executive director that can turn demonstration into legislation.”
Sharpton also cited Ingram’s time leading the NAN’s D.C. bureau. “I’ve seen her in demonstrations and the halls of power,” he added. “I think Janaye is a superb leader.”
Ironically, Ingram, who was Miss New Jersey in 2004, says she wasn’t always a great leader. During her sophomore year of high school, the 34-year-old organized a school walkout to protest the school’s Black History Month snub. But when the walkout began, Ingram left alone. She learned that people’s fears can affect activism.
“So now the thing that I try to focus on is empowerment and encouraging people to be active,” Ingram said. “We need to not give in to fear.”
According to Sharpton, NAN’s largest focus right now is on pushing for a new voting rights bill and laws to control stop and frisk. As executive director, Ingram is expected to play a large role in spearheading the legislation. She says she is ready for the task.
“Aside from voting rights, my other major priority is addressing racial profiling. Too many people of color find themselves the subject of suspicion just because of how they look,” she said.
“We see it here in New York with stop and frisk, and we see it in other instances. There must be a federal law that protects people from laws that subject them to searches or other constitutional infringement based on the fact that their skin is a certain color, they practice a certain religion, or speak a certain language.”
Though she will have to work in Harlem instead of D.C., Ingram feels her experience in the nation’s capital will help her.
“Having strong relationships and being able to connect with policymakers and legislators has allowed me to make some change,” she said. “I’m tremendously excited to be back in Harlem. It’s the village and the people have always been welcoming. It’s a homecoming.”
Ingram plans on spending time in both D.C. and New York. She was promoted to her position on August 29th.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Janaye Ingram: Former Beauty Queen Named NAN’s New Executive Director