A public memorial will be held for E. Steven Collins, a respected radio personality in Philadelphia and member of the Radio One family. He was nicknamed “The Un-official Mayor of Philadelphia.” Collins held a legacy of being a positive influence and beacon of change through his segment called “Philly Speaks.” He served as director of urban marketing and external relations for Radio One 100.3 FM. For thirty-five years, Collins hosted and produced one of the east coast region’s most popular radio talk shows.
Collins passed away suddenly from a heart attack on Monday, September 9, 2013. He was 58 years old.
Collins served on the board of several prominent organizations in Philadelphia: the Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau, the Urban League of Philadelphia, the Multicultural Affairs Congress and the Marian Anderson Awards Association. He was appointed chair of the Mayor’s Commission on Literacy by Mayor Michael Nutter.
E. Steven Collins was a native of West Philadelphia. Each year, he helped to plan the annual “Philly’s Men Are Cookin'” event, sponsored by the Ivy Legacy Foundation. He coordinated the annual Black Greek picnic in Philadelphia, Virginia Beach and Long Island, along with Unity Week in Fairmount Park and Unity Day on the Parkway. The events would attract millions of people. The beloved radio jock was part of a delegation of Concerned Black Men of Philadelphia, which former President Ronald Reagan honored in a White House ceremony in 1985.
Not just a talent of radio and media, the leader of Philadelphia’s concerned community served as either producer or host of events for the Philadelphia Business Journal; Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Association; The Urban League of Philadelphia; The Free Library of Philadelphia, United Negro College Fund; Drexel University; Lincoln University, the NAACP, The Anti-Defamation League; The Barnes Foundation, The Congressional Black Caucus and others.
Nationally, E. Steven Collins was tapped for appearances on television shows like Chris Mathews, the MSNBC network, CNN and HLN. He was also a guest on “Hardball With Chris Mathews” for the 2008 Presidential National coverage.
The Temple University graduate Collins lead the marketing effort to increase African American fan participation with the Philadelphia Phillies Major League Baseball team from 2008 to 2011.
Collins also was the driving force behind the successful Back-To-School and Men’s Only events designed to increase parental involvement for the Philadelphia School District in 2009 and 2011.
Collins’ memorial is set for September 21, 2013 from noon to 3 p.m. at Sharon Baptist Church at 3955 Conshohocken Ave. Mayor Nutter, U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah, and Radio One founder Catherine Hughes are expected to attend. E. Steven Collins is survived by his wife, Lisa Duhart-Collins and two sons, Rashid and Langston Collins.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25