A public memorial will be held for E. Steven Collins, a respected radio personality in Philadelphia and member of the Radio One family. He was nicknamed “The Un-official Mayor of Philadelphia.” Collins held a legacy of being a positive influence and beacon of change through his segment called “Philly Speaks.” He served as director of urban marketing and external relations for Radio One 100.3 FM. For thirty-five years, Collins hosted and produced one of the east coast region’s most popular radio talk shows.
Collins passed away suddenly from a heart attack on Monday, September 9, 2013. He was 58 years old.
Collins served on the board of several prominent organizations in Philadelphia: the Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau, the Urban League of Philadelphia, the Multicultural Affairs Congress and the Marian Anderson Awards Association. He was appointed chair of the Mayor’s Commission on Literacy by Mayor Michael Nutter.
E. Steven Collins was a native of West Philadelphia. Each year, he helped to plan the annual “Philly’s Men Are Cookin'” event, sponsored by the Ivy Legacy Foundation. He coordinated the annual Black Greek picnic in Philadelphia, Virginia Beach and Long Island, along with Unity Week in Fairmount Park and Unity Day on the Parkway. The events would attract millions of people. The beloved radio jock was part of a delegation of Concerned Black Men of Philadelphia, which former President Ronald Reagan honored in a White House ceremony in 1985.
Not just a talent of radio and media, the leader of Philadelphia’s concerned community served as either producer or host of events for the Philadelphia Business Journal; Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Association; The Urban League of Philadelphia; The Free Library of Philadelphia, United Negro College Fund; Drexel University; Lincoln University, the NAACP, The Anti-Defamation League; The Barnes Foundation, The Congressional Black Caucus and others.
Nationally, E. Steven Collins was tapped for appearances on television shows like Chris Mathews, the MSNBC network, CNN and HLN. He was also a guest on “Hardball With Chris Mathews” for the 2008 Presidential National coverage.
The Temple University graduate Collins lead the marketing effort to increase African American fan participation with the Philadelphia Phillies Major League Baseball team from 2008 to 2011.
Collins also was the driving force behind the successful Back-To-School and Men’s Only events designed to increase parental involvement for the Philadelphia School District in 2009 and 2011.
Collins’ memorial is set for September 21, 2013 from noon to 3 p.m. at Sharon Baptist Church at 3955 Conshohocken Ave. Mayor Nutter, U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah, and Radio One founder Catherine Hughes are expected to attend. E. Steven Collins is survived by his wife, Lisa Duhart-Collins and two sons, Rashid and Langston Collins.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30