As previously reported by NewsOne, the Dekalb County, Georgia teen, who was 13-years-old at the time, was reportedly babysitting her younger, Sasha Lamaya Ray, and her other siblings when the murder occurred on November 19, 2012.
Jackson called her stepfather (and Sasha’s biological father), Shelton Ray, and said the toddler was missing. Ray rushed home and found his daughter bleeding profusely from multiple stab wounds in the backyard of their home on North Waldrop Trail in Decatur.
“She died in my arms,” Ray said.
Though the teen rejected the plea deal, her mother, Haneefa Ray, is begging a judge to send the case to juvenile court.
“I don’t think she should be tried as an adult and go to adult jail,” said a tearful Haneefa, the mother of both the toddler and the teen.
Jackson provided no motive for her heinous act of violence.
While the teen’s mother asked Wednesday that a judge send the case back to juvenile court, prosecutors offered the chance at serving 10 years of a 20-year sentence if she pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter.
“I don’t think she should be tried as an adult and go to adult jail,” said a tearful Haneefa Ray, the mother of both the toddler and the teen.
DeKalb County Superior Court Judge Gregory A. Adams said he didn’t believe he had the discretion to send the case back to a juvenile court.
“We believe that reducing the charge from murder to manslaughter is a major concession,” said DeKalb County Assistant District Attorney Darius Pattillo.
Without the deal, Ty’Aisa Jackson could face life if convicted as an adult at trial early next year on murder, aggravated assault, making false statements and first-degree child cruelty charges for the Nov. 19 stabbing death of Sasha Lamaya Ray. (Though Jackson was 13 at the time of her arrest, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is identifying her because she is being tried as an adult.)
On Wednesday afternoon, DeKalb County public defender Melanie Williams declined the reduced charges offer.
“The 20 to serve 10 is not consistent with what my client feels comfortable with, and certainly it isn’t consistent with what the mother and step-father of my client and the parents of the victim would like to see happen today,” Williams told Judge Adams.
During the hearing, Jackson cried as prosecutors describe the wounds she had inflicted on her sister’s chest, stomach and the defensive wounds on her hands.
“She stabbed her seven times,” said DeKalb County Assistant District Attorney Darius Pattillo. “The child suffered. The victim weighed 29 pounds and she fought for her life.”
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Ga. Girl Charged With Stabbing 2-Year-Old Sister To Death Rejects Plea Deal [VIDEO]