Satirical video website, “Funny Or Die,” poked some fun at the nation’s Stand Your Ground laws via a hilarious clip that took a stab at the National Rifle Association (NRA).
The video parody was framed as a public service announcement and features comedians Sarah Silverman (pictured), David Alan Grier, Neal Brennan, Ron Funches and Deon Cole, all rallying around the U.S. Constitution’s second amendment privilege of “every American’s right to keep and bear arms.”
Playing members of the NRA, each comic discussed the need for all young African-American males to have guns. “Our fund will put guns into the hands of those that need them most … young Black males,” says Silverman, who acted as the spokesperson for the fictitious “Black NRA” group.
The group mentioned the circumstances surrounding the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, implying that the NRA only advocates putting guns into the hands of White Americans. When Grier mentions how gun ownership has increased his sense of security, his cohorts chime in with Martin-related references:
GRIER: Now that I have a gun, I feel safe doing everyday normal things.
COLE: Like wearing a hoodie.
FUNCHES: Eating Skittles.
GRIER: Walking in the rain.
COLE: Or being in Florida
Silverman brings the point of the video home when she states:
“Thanks, NRA. You taught me what realistic peace is all about: standing your ground, pointing that gun at the bad guy and having him point it right back and going, “Hey, I guess we’re not that different after all.”
The comedians then punctuate in a tongue-in-cheek way how so many of us felt after the Martin case was over and his murderer George Zimmerman was able to walk away with blood still on his hands:
FUNCHES: So support the Black NRA, and help us arm every young black man in America. Then freedom will truly ring out.
SILVERMAN: That’s what you mean, right NRA?
BRENNAN: This stand your ground law, it’s for everybody.
COLE: Let’s shoot each other some love.
GRIER: You don’t have a problem with this, do you?
COLE: Or, just stop shooting innocent people.
Classic! Check out the video here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30