Today is the birthday of the late singer Barry White, a.k.a. “The Maestro.” The Galveston, Texas native is known for his hit songs “You’re the First, My Last, My Everything,” “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love Babe” & “Never Never Gonna Give You Up.” White, (who was born Barry Eugene Carter) grew up around gangs and poverty in South Central L.A. He did time for theft as a kid. He heard the song “It’s Now or Never” by Elvis Presley while in jail and decided to change his course in life.
White didn’t start off as a recording artist. He was a behind-the-scenes music rep, signing artists to various music labels in the 1960’s. He signed a group named Love Unlimited, then produced and arranged their hit “Walking in the Rain (With the One I Love).” White would also marry a member of the group named Glodean James.
In 1973, White embarked upon his own solo career at the urging of businessman Larry Nunes. That year he recorded “I’ve Got So Much to Give” with the hit song “I’m Gonna Love You Just a Little More Baby.” The song hit #1 on the Billboard R&B charts as well as #3 on the Billboard Pop charts. White decided to build The Love Unlimited Orchestra, a 40-piece orchestral group that would serve as the background instrumental for his album, Love’s Theme.
In 1978, White teamed with CBS/Columbia Records to buld his own label, Unlimited Gold. Unfortunately, the label took a financial toll on White within10 years. He signed with A&M Records in 1987. It was with A&M that he developed the song “Sho’ You Right,” a phrase that would become his legacy among fans.
White’s career stagnated with his songs reaching the mid 20’s on the Billboard charts until he teamed with Quincy Jones in 1990. He sang a part on the song “Secret Garden” that reminded fans of his soulful and deep sultry sound.
The artist made several more albums and collaborated with Tina Turner and Chris Rock (Basketball Jones).
White had ventured into acting throughout his career. He did many voice overs, including Oldsmobile, Arbys Restaurants and with the Apple corporation for their first ibook. He lent his voice to several episodes of “The Simpsons.”
After suffering bouts of illness from diabetes and high blood pressure, Barry White died on July 4, 2003 from renal failure. His ashes were scattered off the California coast by his family.
Barry White made 106 gold albums, with 41 of them hitting platinum. He has been hailed as the pioneer of disco music. He was posthumously inducted into the Dance Music Hall of Fame in 2004. Today, he will receive his posthumous star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25