This year’s TV season has a number of throwback moments – from Queen Latifah and Arsenio Hall returning to host talk shows to Michael J. Fox’s return to sitcom television. On the news side, CNN is presenting its own throwback TV under new boss and former NBC honcho Jeff Zucker.
“Crossfire,” the show that pitted a liberal against a conservative for spirited debate, was a big part of CNN’s early days. Now it’s back, this time starring activist/attorney Van Jones and politician Newt Gingrich. “Good debates and discussions are going to be the whole point of “Crossfire,” Jones told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “We’re going to get a topic and go at it.”
Jones is well-known for his work as an environmental activist. He was appointed Special Advisor for Green Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation at the White House Council on Environmental Quality by President Barack Obama in 2009, a job he resigned from that same year because of conservative objection to controversial statements he’d made in the past.
That shouldn’t prove to be a problem on “Crossfire.”
‘“Crossfire’ was one of the most famous shows in the world when it went off the air in 2005. Everybody said it was too partisan. But after that, TV got worse, even crazier. Now you have whole stations where it’s just one political point of view, another political point of view, with no overlap. This is going to be a show where everybody’s going to come to the table. You can’t just attack a liberal and a liberal’s not there. You can’t just attack a conservative and the conservatives aren’t there. You have to sit across the table from somebody and go toe to toe with them for 30 minutes on a key topic of the day.”
Jones says “Crossfire” will talk Syria tonight ahead of President Obama’s speech and the possibility of military intervention in the troubled region. Jones says he hopes that a peaceful outcome can be reached.
“Last night John Kerry accidentally said ‘Well if the Syrians would give up their chemical weapons, we wouldn’t jump on ‘em.’ It was a throwaway line off the top of his head. It wasn’t even a part of his speech. The Syrians and the Russians said ‘OK, we’ll do it.’ It could be that the President putting all those warships outside of Syria may actually lead us to a peaceful outcome. Hopefully the president will lay out a vision and strategy that will get us out of this without war.”
To go to war, the President needs Congressional approval, which Jones hopes never gets put to a vote.
“Delay the vote forever. You can’t vote against the President on this, it would destroy his Presidency. We opposed George Bush for going to the United Nations with phony evidence but we didn’t go the U.N. with this yet at all with Obama. We said Bush was wrong for pulling together a flimsy, phony coalition of the willing, but we don’t have any coalition pulled together yet on this one. We said George W. Bush was wrong for having a plan to win the war, but not the peace, but right now, with Obama, we don’t have a plan for the war or the peace.
It doesn’t have to be you’re with Obama or against Obama, but delay the vote and let this thing play itself out a few more months. The way it’s going it’s going to work in Obama’s favor. You don’t have to have the vote, you don’t have to have the military strike, the Syrians and Russians are coming to the table. It can all work out well without a war. ”
“Crossfire” airs weeknights at 6:30 p.m. on CNN.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30