This year’s TV season has a number of throwback moments – from Queen Latifah and Arsenio Hall returning to host talk shows to Michael J. Fox’s return to sitcom television. On the news side, CNN is presenting its own throwback TV under new boss and former NBC honcho Jeff Zucker.
“Crossfire,” the show that pitted a liberal against a conservative for spirited debate, was a big part of CNN’s early days. Now it’s back, this time starring activist/attorney Van Jones and politician Newt Gingrich. “Good debates and discussions are going to be the whole point of “Crossfire,” Jones told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “We’re going to get a topic and go at it.”
Jones is well-known for his work as an environmental activist. He was appointed Special Advisor for Green Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation at the White House Council on Environmental Quality by President Barack Obama in 2009, a job he resigned from that same year because of conservative objection to controversial statements he’d made in the past.
That shouldn’t prove to be a problem on “Crossfire.”
‘“Crossfire’ was one of the most famous shows in the world when it went off the air in 2005. Everybody said it was too partisan. But after that, TV got worse, even crazier. Now you have whole stations where it’s just one political point of view, another political point of view, with no overlap. This is going to be a show where everybody’s going to come to the table. You can’t just attack a liberal and a liberal’s not there. You can’t just attack a conservative and the conservatives aren’t there. You have to sit across the table from somebody and go toe to toe with them for 30 minutes on a key topic of the day.”
Jones says “Crossfire” will talk Syria tonight ahead of President Obama’s speech and the possibility of military intervention in the troubled region. Jones says he hopes that a peaceful outcome can be reached.
“Last night John Kerry accidentally said ‘Well if the Syrians would give up their chemical weapons, we wouldn’t jump on ‘em.’ It was a throwaway line off the top of his head. It wasn’t even a part of his speech. The Syrians and the Russians said ‘OK, we’ll do it.’ It could be that the President putting all those warships outside of Syria may actually lead us to a peaceful outcome. Hopefully the president will lay out a vision and strategy that will get us out of this without war.”
To go to war, the President needs Congressional approval, which Jones hopes never gets put to a vote.
“Delay the vote forever. You can’t vote against the President on this, it would destroy his Presidency. We opposed George Bush for going to the United Nations with phony evidence but we didn’t go the U.N. with this yet at all with Obama. We said Bush was wrong for pulling together a flimsy, phony coalition of the willing, but we don’t have any coalition pulled together yet on this one. We said George W. Bush was wrong for having a plan to win the war, but not the peace, but right now, with Obama, we don’t have a plan for the war or the peace.
It doesn’t have to be you’re with Obama or against Obama, but delay the vote and let this thing play itself out a few more months. The way it’s going it’s going to work in Obama’s favor. You don’t have to have the vote, you don’t have to have the military strike, the Syrians and Russians are coming to the table. It can all work out well without a war. ”
“Crossfire” airs weeknights at 6:30 p.m. on CNN.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31