Eight-year-old Donald Maiden Jr. is lying in a Dallas hospital with a gunshot wound to his face.

Donald, who is black, had just celebrated his 8th birthday and was playing tag outside his apartment complex when he was shot last week by Brian Cloniger, a white 46-year-old who had been seen waving a gun earlier in the day.

This is a sad situation, another text book case for gun control legislation, and a senseless shooting that could also have racial implications.

Why did Cloniger shoot Donald Maiden? Why is this eight-year-old boy fighting to recover from a shooting simply because he was outside playing tag?

Donald was listed in critical but stable condition. He still needs a breathing tube and had a plate in his jaw. He can wink and nod, but can’t talk. He is expected to undergo more surgeries after swelling from the most-recent surgeries subsides.

Police said that Cloninger was seen standing next to his pickup truck as Donald was bleeding and a witness asked him if he shot the boy.

“Yes I shot that kid,” Cloninger reportedly said.

Cloniger is in jail for the shooting and he’s being held on $2.2 million bond. Police said there is no clear motive for Cloninger shooting the unarmed boy. The shooting is still being investigated.

But how could there be a reasonable motive? Cloniger shot an unarmed youngster for no apparent reason. There is no justifiable reason for the shooting.

And Donald’s family is understandably sad, angry and confused.

“When he ran in I just screamed,”Latamarin Locklin, Donald’s mother, told reporters. “His mouth was just hanging off and it was just a big hole… I just threw him on the couch and laid him in my arms and put pressure on his mouth with the towel.”
Locklin couldn’t understand why anyone would shoot her child “out of the blue.”

“He hit the ground when the guy shot him,” said grandmother Sharon Locklin. “Then, he got up and ran to the house and asked his mom for water, and his mom saw all the blood coming out.”

When Donald Maiden Sr. saw his son at the hospital, he was in a medically-induced coma.

“When I first saw him in ICU, I started crying,” Donald Sr. said. “I just put my head down in his bed and was holding his hand at the same time. And he opened his eyes. And when I raised back up I looked and there were tears rolling down his eyes and it gave me a little bit of spirit in my heart. It was joy, I guess he was kind of happy to know I was there.”

Local police arrested Brian Cloninger in connection with the shooting. He has been charged with injury to a child, and sits behind bars with a $2.2 million bond. There is no clear motive behind why Cloninger would have wanted to shoot the boy. The shooting is still being investigated.

“Everything’s just too much,” Locklin said. “I just want him to get better and recover. And law enforcement can deal with everything else.”

There are certainly more questions than answers and perhaps, when young Donald is able to talk again, he can tell police why he was shot while having fun outside playing a kid’s game.

63 thoughts on “8-Year-Old Black Boy Shot in Face by White Man in Dallas

1. I pray the god will simply just end the human race completely. Human beings are a genetic mistake….including myself. This is the only way. There is no hope for man. The planet was doing just fine before we came along. We should be stomped out like a filthy cockroach.

2. Phyllix M. Stovall on said:

When Black men start shooting white men and children, that will be the only time we will see an end to this abuse and disparity. Then the laws will change to protect the abusers. White men will be the minority soon, due to the fact that White women marry Black men and White men marry Asian women more often than not. Just look at the Census of 2010. The aging white majority is dying quickly due to age. The old racist will be dead and forgotten. Our skin colors are becoming one in the same. When our lawmakers are people of color, you will no longer see this disparity. Only then will we see people begging for peace, because the power will no longer be in the hands of a racist.

3. This pisses me off to no extent – we live in a country where its okay for white people to kill and shot black people for no reason at all- and what sickens me more is the black community always saying “aww this is wrong we need to TALK ABOUT THIS WE NEED TO BRING AWARENESS TO THIS SITUATION” we talk about this sh#t to often its already talked about- we need to do ACTION. What this says is you as a black american are not safe no matter what! your child your BABIES are not safe! and you spend your time trying to fit into a society that fucking hates you for no reason only cause of your skin color. What you need to do is educate yourself spend time fighting the justice department cause that “justice” isnt for you its for the majority- not minority and you need to start acting on what you say is wrong and protest and riot! this is bull shit this stuff happens waaay to often and you cant expect white americans to have any sort of empathy or feeling towards this situation, dont expect them to fight this battle for you- we won our so called rights as a black people by fighting for them ourselves who knows where we would have been if it wasnt for MLK – so fucking stand up and do something or are you waiting for this to be your child.

• The killing of our kids needs to stop. Including the thousands of black kids that are killed by other blacks, the white kids that are killed by other whites, the white kids that are killed by Hispanics, the Asian kids that are killed by Russians, ect. It doesn’t matter what damned race the killers are. Because if you really want to stand up on your hind legs and roar, think about the fact that more black kids are killed by OTHER BLACKS than they are killed by ANY OTHER RACE. Now after you go out and kill all the white people that kill black kids, what are you gonna do about the ones that are killed by people that look like you?

4. Other then this being a horrible thing that has happened. I find it odd that I found the same exact story but leaving out “white” man kills “black” child. This is what they want and this is called black America web why would they want to keep this racism going….this entire situation is sad and again has nothing to do with race.

5. Erroka Johnson on said:

My God. This story has ripped my heart in two. I can not imagine. People are becoming so heartless & evil. My prayers certainly goes out to the young boys parents. I pray that God heals little Donald’s body and restore every function his body to a normal capacity….in Jesus name Amen!

6. Chris Hoffman on said:

I hope he never sees freedom in outside world.& no protective custody in prison. I am white. This make me sad & angry. I have friends who are black as well as all other races. I live in Vancouver Canada, A very multiracial city.

7. matilda garcia on said:

This is so horrible how kids cant even go out to play cuz of the skin color I hope this man rots in jail even gets the death sentence my prayers go out to his family

8. these crazy crazy people who shoot kids, or people who text their babysitter during the previews of a movie, etc…..this has GOT TO STOP!!!! why was this freak running around with a gun in a residential area? “yeah, i shot that kid”???? really??? this is how he views other human beings? this is a CHILD. a child with a mother and father and family. the only thing an 8 year old child needs from a neighbor is a KIND WORD!!!!! oh..and this charge of “injury to a child”??? wouldn’t attempted murder be a more fitting charge? don’t children have rights? if you shoot someone in the face or head, it’s obvious that you are trying to KILL them. this is attempted MURDER. he should be charged accordingly.

9. GREG HAYNES on said:

10. mightymo on said:

The baby lived.. this is a year old and the man didnt shoot the baby directly, he shot thru a wall and it hit the baby. Everything is not about race..

11. People need to start taking matters into their own hands because the law is giving them permission to do whatever they want to black people without any consequences. ENOUGH!!!!

12. First we have to figure out what to do about all the little black babies blacks are killing. Then maybe we can talk about going around killing “red neck white folks”. Because trust that blacks kill waaaaay more black kids than red necks do. That being said, I hope this big dumb ape spends the rest of his sorry as life in prison being made to wish he were dead.

13. Jerome Robinson on said:

Whats wrong with the society that kids cant even go outside an play an these white motherfuckers going aroung shooting these innocent children for no fucking wat so ever.

14. I really hope that you know all “white” people are not like this crazed psycho. Regardless of what color this child was he does not deserve to be shot or hurt in any way, form or fashion. I have 2 bi-racial sons who I am scared for everyday because of things like this happening everywhere. It is definitely scary to see this everytime you turn around. I will continue to keep Donald and his family in my prayers. I pray for a full and speedy recovery. God bless this poor baby.

15. We as AA’s need to arm ouselves against crazy crakers. I bet if we start owning guns, the laws will change. Let’s try it. And,no, I’m not saying to get on a killing spree but to protect our families

16. Lets be real this was a racist act and the man is clearly a man of hate. No child should endure the pain of being shot in the face. White or black. But come on…do you really think he wouldve shot a white american child…no. sorry to say but its 2014 and we are still living in a world full of hate. Whether its because of your race, gender, or being gay. This world is sad.

17. This is not a race case. This man is a menace and a monster for shooting a child. Period. He shoots children. Period. That should be enough, without pulling race into it, for ALL of us to be outraged.

18. This monster’s (does not matter the color of his skin, he is a monster) crime is wrong. No one should harm any child of any color. All children are gifts from God. All children deserved to be loved and cherished. The monster that hurt this lil boy should rot in prison for the rest of his life and he should have been charged with attempted murder and serious injury to a child. I think he should never see the light of day. My heart breaks for this boy. I hope this child makes a full recovery and goes on to great things with his life. My thoughts and prayers and love go out to this lil boy and his family.

19. Wayne Adkins (my real name) on said:

Well this is what your government want from the individuals in america, separation and derogatory and inflammatory comments against one another especially black and white ! ! ! Last time I checked we all bleed red, this is a case of simply wrong doing to another human being ! ! ! You better remember one thing in america, justice is not black and white it’s green ! ! ! So, if you are intelligent you will understand this and if you are an idiot you want ! ! !

20. what about the knock out game. blacks knock out random white people, it never makes a fuss. try that on me, you will have 10 plus rounds in your ass

• No matter the color this is a sad story when someone can shoot a child in the face and not be in jail for a more serious crime than injury to a child. Let us pray for justice. However, I can not deny that if it were a little white boy that man would most definitely be facing more serious charges. And if it were a grown black man cops would have probably killed his ass.

• Oh and in reference to the knockout game you can blame that on dumb ass teens of all races. Look on YouTube no discrimination! White boys on there too

• WTH does a bunch of stupid A kids playing the knockout game–and BTW kids of ALL races play this stupid game and they knock out ALL races of people–but what does this have to do with some evil monster shooting a kid for no apparent reason. I hope his ass rots in jail, and @shan is right–if a Black man had shot an innocent little White kid for no apparent reason he probably wouldn’t have even made it to trial at least not without getting his a** beat or “mysteriously killed” on the way to the jail.

• charles on said:

Chris u a dumb bitch little man was 8 years old n u got da nerve 2 compare him 2 dumb mf ers playin a game get yo shit together

• the knock out game is NOT a black thing. Its only the black ones that make the news. If you investigate further, you WILL find incidents of white people as well. I live in a very affluent neighborhood in NW DC. White people look at me and my 2 sons as if we dont belong here. Everytime a black person does something bad its on the news however when its a white person, it may be on the news but they WILL NOT reveal their race. You have to investigate for yourself. Looking at this article, I do see black and white but FIRST and FOREMOST I SEE RIGHT AND WRONG!

• Patrick on said:

So that’s you’re justification for a 46 yr old man shooting an 8 yr old kid. If this is truly your feelings I can’t be mad at you for feeling sorry for you.

21. Fucking stupid cuntry with fucking stupid gun laws that allow fucking stupid idiots to wave guns about and shoot innocent people. Ban the fucking guns now! America’s no better than a fucking third world country where you can get fucking shot just for being in the wrong fucking place at the wrong fucking time. Fucking Texas-stan!

• God does not bless fools on said:

It amazes me how white people can be so hard behind a computer screen. Step outside and say some mess like that. White people can’t accept the fact that one point blacks feared whites…blacks no longer fear you cowards…lol have a blessed day

• I know what that other guy said was completely wrong but that doesn’t mean you go and keep the race thing going. This has nothing to do with race if that man was black he still would have shot a kid white orange purple or whatever. When will people learn that this is the government keeping society segregated so they can continue to control us. SMH so sad that you fall right in to this.

• libtard should have had his screen name as retard with a comment like that, yes one less felon that your daughter,grandaughter, neice would have to worry about. dont be surprised when she bring one home

22. When are you going to follow up on this story? The last update I’ve found was September 23, 2013…. surely, the child is out of the hospital. What does he say? What does the suspect say? Can someone please follow up?

23. Daniel Burley on said:

How can an act like this possibly be justified? was this boy eating Skittles or wearing a hoodie? Being a black man I understand how much of a ‘threat’ we are by simply breathing the same air as ‘others’ and having the audacity to exist, but is it really necessary to kill unarmed children simply because the ‘law’ will allow it?

24. Prayers going out to this 8 year child and his family. I pray the shooter is held accountable for his actions at the highest charge possible and that he never leaves prison alive.

25. Why is our race being targeted? this man should spend life in prison & pay restitution to this little fellow shot him for nothing. this man must wanted to go to jail, some one is going to get him in prison believe this, my prayers are with him & his family.these white folks just think they can just shot us & nothing to get done well we will see,this has got to stop.

26. I pray right now in The name of Jesus healing! Lord I pray for strength and Revelation Knowledge for his parents. Oh God! I Thank you for for healing him his your child God! Blow on him oh God blow healing cover him in your blood! In Jesus name it’s finished! Now I Thank you Jesus for answering my prayers. God bless you!

27. ”Injury to a child!!!???” he didn’t spank him too hard, he didn’t accidentally hurt him…he SHOT that kid in the face and no one is making him tell why and why isn’t he charged with aggravated attempted murder(if thats a thing) injury to a child just seems too soft of a charge!!!! #then people wonder why we march and ish…

28. What in the hell is going on? What was this big goon thinking? I hope is made to live every day of a very long life in such misery that he prays for death. And when his prayer is finally answered, I hope he spends eternity being shot in the jaw over and over and over…..all the while seeing little Donald’s smiling face. That’s what I wish for.