So we’re barely a week away from the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington and, unfortunately, conflict is dominating the news.
The situation with Syria is grave and we’re not sure how things are going to play out… We’re prayerful for a nonviolent resolution to this crisis.
That said, it saddens me greatly that, in the aftermath of the anniversary march largely inspired by the legacy of the nonviolent Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., two conflicts are unfolding—one between nations, the other within a family—that would cause the late civil rights icon a great deal of anguish. Along with the threat of U.S. military action against Syria—an action Dr. King would undoubtedly disapprove—there’s also the reemergence of public infighting within the King family.
For those of you who have not heard, the King estate, run by Martin Luther King III and Dexter King, has initiated a lawsuit charging that their sister Bernice, who heads The King Center, has failed in her handling of the center.
If you recall, this is not the first time such tensions have surfaced with the King children. Five years ago, Martin III and Bernice sued Dexter for allegedly improperly using funds from their father’s estate.
Wow, how did we get here? I mean is conflict programmed into our very DNA? Or maybe conflict is just a symptom of what we really want, which is a five-letter word that drives individuals and governments to act in extreme ways to get it.
POWER… yep that’s the one… Conflict is usually brought about by a struggle for power and, unfortunately, humans have acted this way since the beginning of time.
But also throughout history, there are those who through their teachings, sacrifices and examples emphasized the extraordinary power of love, a divine type of love more powerful than human flaws and ambitions, and more energetic than any nuclear weapon.
It’s a transformative type of love literally capable of changing the hearts of men. it has torn down walls of hate, freed multitudes from enslavement, and changed nations and laws for the better.
I bring this up to suggest that all of us, today, in this time of crisis should remind ourselves of this necessary and transformative connection between power and love, and how one is inadequate and empty without the other. And it’s no surprise that the man who’d be most concerned and affected by the current turmoil in his own family and human family spoke to this transformative connection best… Dr. King informed us that:
“Power without love is reckless and abusive… Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice, and justice at its best is power correcting everything that stands against love.”
Roundtable with Stephanie Robinson On-Demand
Have you missed popular radio commentator from the Tom Joyner Morning Show, Stephanie Robinson, on her new Internet radio show? Or have you loved Roundtable with Stephanie Robinson so much that you want to listen to all the episodes again? Either way, you are in luck! After they air live, you can access all Roundtable with Stephanie Robinson episodes on-demand at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/robinsonsroundtable. Visit the link to listen to past episodes on hot and compelling topics like the Politics of ABC’s hit TV series Scandal, The Zimmerman Trial, The Boston Marathon Bombing, and much more to come. It’s time to gather round Robinson’s Roundtable!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30