ABOVE: TV critic Eric Deggans talks to Roland Martin about the new fall TV season.
You want to know what’s hot on TV this fall? Well, there’s a lot to choose from. This year boasts a slate full of high-concept shows with subject matter ranging from everything from people coming back to life from the dead to the experiences of seven coworkers who win the lottery. You’ll need some help wading through all the new shows, so here we are. These are our pics for the top 10 shows you should check out this fall. We can’t guarantee they’ll stay hot throughout an entire season, but they’re looking good right now.
1. RESURRECTION: (ABC): Premise: People who have died years ago start showing up alive in the small town of Arcadia, Missouri. Premiere: Sunday, March 9, 2014 at 10 p.m. Reasons to Watch: Omar Epps. Critics Say: It’s a uniquely moving show.
2. BEING MARY JANE: (BET) Premise: Single career woman deals with family, career and romantic frustrations Premiere: January 2014 Reasons to Watch: Gabrielle Union, Omari Hardwick, newcomer Stephen Bishop Critics Say: A realistic look at the challenges of being Black, female and single.
3. BROOKLYN NINE -NINE (Fox) Premise: A Brooklyn precinct is played for laughs. Premiere: Tuesday, September 17 at 8:30 p.m. Reasons to Watch: Andre Braugher, Andy Samberg, Terry Crews Critics Say: Andre Braugher is as great a comic actor as he is a dramatic one.
4. LUCKY 7 (ABC) Premise: Seven coworkers split a lottery jackpot; drama and hilarity ensue as they deal with their new fortunes. Premiere: Tuesday, September 24 at 10 p.m. Reason to watch: Isaiah Whitlock, Jr. of “The Wire” fame. Critics Say: It might be a winner.
5. THE BLACKLIST (NBC) Premise: Hannibal Lecter like psychopath helps FBI catch most wanted fugitives with the help of a female agent he has no connection to. Premiere: Monday, September 23 at 10 p.m. Reasons to Watch: Harry Lennix, James Spader Critics Say: Surprisingly good.
6. IRONSIDE: (NBC) Premise: Underwood plays a New York detective who is paralyzed on the job; it’s an update of the famous 70’s show starring Raymond Burr. Premiere: Wednesday, October 2, 10 p.m. Reason to Watch: Blair Underwood. Critics Say: Well, they were underwhelmed, but Blair is looking so daggone sexy, even in a wheelchair, that we were ready to DVR.
7. GANG RELATED (Fox) Premise: Former gangbanger helps cops stop Asian, Black and Latino gang activity Premiere: 2014 Reasons to Watch: The RZA, Sang Kang of “Fast and Furious” fame, Terry O’Quinn of “Lost” and Ramon Rodriguez. Critics Say: Who cares, the trailer was explosive and if it’s all about multiethnic gangs, we’re in.
8. ALMOST HUMAN (Fox): Premise: Futuristic cop show puts human partner with artificially created partner. Premiere: Monday, November 4 at 8 p.m. Reason to Watch: Michael Ealy. Critics Say: Creator J. J. Abrams (“Fringe, Alias”) track record should help it find an audience.
9. THE ARSENIO HALL SHOW (syndicated, check local listings) Premise: The late night party host of the 90’s is back. Premiere: Monday, September 9 at 10 p.m. Reason to Watch: Arsenio and his guests. Critics Say: Nothing yet, but there’s a ton of competition in late night nowadays. However, Hall’s 10 p.m. time slot may help him rise above it.
10. CRISIS (NBC) Premise: A group of wealthy teenagers including the president’s son, are kidnapped. Premiere: February 2014 Reasons to Watch: Lance Gross, “The X Files”‘ Gillian Anderson Critics Say: Hard to figure how it will play out over several seasons but looks interesting.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30