Rear Admiral Stephen Rochon was the first African American Chief Usher at the White House. The Admiral served as Director of the Executive Residence in the White House from 2007-2011. He was responsible for the execution of all major events at the White House and preserving the home’s historic presence.
A native of New Orleans, La., Admiral Rochon began his first tour of duty aboard the cutter White Bush in Astoria, Oregon in 1973. He served in the Coast Guard Reserve while attending Xavier University of Louisiana, where he received a B.S. in Business Administration in 1979.
After he graduated from War College in 1999, Admiral Rochon returned to his hometown as Commanding Officer of the Marine Safety Office. He was appointed to his first flag officer assignment in Washington, D.C., as Director, Office of Intelligence and Security, and the National Security Advisor to the Secretary of Transportation, a department he would return to after serving at the White House.
Admiral Rochon served in the U.S. Coast Guard from 1970 to 2007. He is a three-time Legion of Merit medal recipient.
As a historian, Admiral Rochon wrote and produced a posthumous documentary honoring the late Alex Haley, father of the legendary novel and film “Roots.” He took the lead on awarding a posthumous Gold Lifesaving Medal for the all-black crew of the Pea Island Lifesaving Station for their rescue in 1896 near the Outer Banks of North Carolina.
Admiral Rochon ushered in the Obama family in 2009, ensuring that the nation’s first black family would arrive in style. He took care of them and their 600,000 houseguests that year. Rochon stepped down in 2011 to work in the U.S. Customs and Border Protection division of the Department of Homeland Security.
Admiral Stephen Rochon has recently served as an advisor to Lee Daniels’ blockbuster film “The Butler,” which is now in its third week at the top spot in the box office. His insight was also used in the recent 50th anniversary of the March on Washington.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25