The Marching 100 has returned to FAMU. The storied marching band known for its fancy footwork and its bombastic support of FAMU’s football team, the Rattlers, returned to the field this semester after a 653 day suspension. Robert Champion Jr., a member of the band was brutally beaten and died in a hazing incident in 2011. His death lead to an overhaul of the marching band which once numbered over 400, and the resignations of the bandleader and the school’s president. Now, with a streamlined band, a new bandleader and a strict anti-hazing policies, the FAMU 100 returned to action this holiday weekend in the MEAC/SWAC challenge.
The band returns over the objections of Champion’s family, who felt the suspension wasn’t long enough. They have filed suit against the bus company (Champion was beating during a hazing ritual on a bus during an away game) the hotel the band stayed in and FAMU. The suit remains unresolved.
“It’s too soon for the band to be back on the field simply because there is nothing to indicate the safety of student is being considered at all,” Champion’s mother, Pam Champion, told The Associated Press “I still feel there has been a rush to put the band on the field and that rush … has to do with finance. They are putting profit before safety.”
But Joe Bullard, the Tallahassee-based radio announcer who is also the longtime voice of the Marching 100, says he is happy to see the band back on the field.
Their performance in Orlando began with a moment of silence for hazing victims.
“The Hundred is back. Mississippi Valley State bought their hillbilly band to Orlando. They were just like the Clampetts. I think they were on a field trip. There are three field commanders this year, for now. But at this point, size does not matter. This is rebuilding time. It’s a new day.” Songs the band performed in an almost 8-minute performance were “Fine China,” “Suit and Tie,” a tribute to Mickey Mouse due to the Orlando host, “Body Parts” and “Blurred Lines.”
The FAMU Rattlers must have been inspired by the return of the band as they beat Mississippi Valley State 27-10.
Because of new restrictions on scholarships, time band members can remain the the band, G.P.A. requirements and other policies intended to shore up the academic and personal character of the band, the Marching 100, which once numbered more than 400, is at about 126 members. But alumni, band members and students alike understand that the new policies are what the band, and the school, needs to reestablish its reputation.
“Yes we have a tradition here, a great legacy of excellence,” student body president Anthony Siders told Tampabay.com. “But in regards to the culture of hazing that’s been eradicated over time, the students do understand the severity and the importance that it must go or this university will not live.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31