Prostate cancer is the most common cancer affecting American men.
In 2010, an estimated 217,730 men were diagnosed with it and 32,050 died of it, according to a report in the Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine by Dr. Charles Modlin, a urologist and kidney transplant surgeon and director of the Minority Men’s Health Center at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.
Modlin noted that black African American men had a prostate cancer incidence two-thirds higher than whites and a mortality rate twice as high.
Modlin is also a national leader and spokesman for the elimination of health disparities and during September, National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, he is focusing on bringing greater awareness of the disproportionate rates of the disease and to encourage black men to take better care of their health.
“After I finished my formal medical education, I was able to step back and take a broader view of the medical landscape. That’s when I really became aware of the healthcare disparity crisis. It’s also when I started thinking about what we can do at the Cleveland Clinic, as an organization, to have a positive impact on reducing healthcare disparities,” Modlin told Profiles in Diversity Journal in an interview published in May.
While poverty and lack of access to good health care can impact outcomes for African Americans, Modlin said it’s not the only contributing factor.
“I think one of the most obvious causes is lack of access to quality healthcare, often due to impoverishment,” Modlin told the journal. “But it goes beyond lack of access. There are a number of patients who actually have access to health insurance, but choose not to [use them] because they don’t think it’s important or out of fear. I think there are patient and healthcare system factors, too. There are unhealthy behaviors, but there are also biological causes that play in, and these can all be combined with environmental factors as well.”
In the Cleveland Clinic journal, Modlin wrote that PSA cutoff levels had not been modified by race (although there are indications of disproportional impact for black men). The studies suggested there was little difference in detecting cancer – or the stage at which it was found – through earlier PSA testing.
Some of that data did not include a significant population of African American men in the studies, however, and some researchers say the recommendation from those studies does not serve black men well at all.
But black men tend to have higher PSA levels with or without cancer, according to Modlin, so regular screenings are likely more critical.
“…we believe primary care physicians should have a lower threshold for referring African American men who have a suspiciously high PSA level for further urologic evaluation,” Modlin said.
He also noted that men also can benefit from a healthy lifestyle, including daily exercise, maintaining a healthy body weight and eating a low-fat diet.
But they should get tested, know their family history and stay on top of their health profile.
Click here for answers to your “Get Well Wednesday” questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30