Prostate cancer is the most common cancer affecting American men.
In 2010, an estimated 217,730 men were diagnosed with it and 32,050 died of it, according to a report in the Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine by Dr. Charles Modlin, a urologist and kidney transplant surgeon and director of the Minority Men’s Health Center at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.
Modlin noted that black African American men had a prostate cancer incidence two-thirds higher than whites and a mortality rate twice as high.
Modlin is also a national leader and spokesman for the elimination of health disparities and during September, National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, he is focusing on bringing greater awareness of the disproportionate rates of the disease and to encourage black men to take better care of their health.
“After I finished my formal medical education, I was able to step back and take a broader view of the medical landscape. That’s when I really became aware of the healthcare disparity crisis. It’s also when I started thinking about what we can do at the Cleveland Clinic, as an organization, to have a positive impact on reducing healthcare disparities,” Modlin told Profiles in Diversity Journal in an interview published in May.
While poverty and lack of access to good health care can impact outcomes for African Americans, Modlin said it’s not the only contributing factor.
“I think one of the most obvious causes is lack of access to quality healthcare, often due to impoverishment,” Modlin told the journal. “But it goes beyond lack of access. There are a number of patients who actually have access to health insurance, but choose not to [use them] because they don’t think it’s important or out of fear. I think there are patient and healthcare system factors, too. There are unhealthy behaviors, but there are also biological causes that play in, and these can all be combined with environmental factors as well.”
In the Cleveland Clinic journal, Modlin wrote that PSA cutoff levels had not been modified by race (although there are indications of disproportional impact for black men). The studies suggested there was little difference in detecting cancer – or the stage at which it was found – through earlier PSA testing.
Some of that data did not include a significant population of African American men in the studies, however, and some researchers say the recommendation from those studies does not serve black men well at all.
But black men tend to have higher PSA levels with or without cancer, according to Modlin, so regular screenings are likely more critical.
“…we believe primary care physicians should have a lower threshold for referring African American men who have a suspiciously high PSA level for further urologic evaluation,” Modlin said.
He also noted that men also can benefit from a healthy lifestyle, including daily exercise, maintaining a healthy body weight and eating a low-fat diet.
But they should get tested, know their family history and stay on top of their health profile.
Click here for answers to your “Get Well Wednesday” questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25