Prostate cancer is the most common cancer affecting American men.
In 2010, an estimated 217,730 men were diagnosed with it and 32,050 died of it, according to a report in the Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine by Dr. Charles Modlin, a urologist and kidney transplant surgeon and director of the Minority Men’s Health Center at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.
Modlin noted that black African American men had a prostate cancer incidence two-thirds higher than whites and a mortality rate twice as high.
Modlin is also a national leader and spokesman for the elimination of health disparities and during September, National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, he is focusing on bringing greater awareness of the disproportionate rates of the disease and to encourage black men to take better care of their health.
“After I finished my formal medical education, I was able to step back and take a broader view of the medical landscape. That’s when I really became aware of the healthcare disparity crisis. It’s also when I started thinking about what we can do at the Cleveland Clinic, as an organization, to have a positive impact on reducing healthcare disparities,” Modlin told Profiles in Diversity Journal in an interview published in May.
While poverty and lack of access to good health care can impact outcomes for African Americans, Modlin said it’s not the only contributing factor.
“I think one of the most obvious causes is lack of access to quality healthcare, often due to impoverishment,” Modlin told the journal. “But it goes beyond lack of access. There are a number of patients who actually have access to health insurance, but choose not to [use them] because they don’t think it’s important or out of fear. I think there are patient and healthcare system factors, too. There are unhealthy behaviors, but there are also biological causes that play in, and these can all be combined with environmental factors as well.”
In the Cleveland Clinic journal, Modlin wrote that PSA cutoff levels had not been modified by race (although there are indications of disproportional impact for black men). The studies suggested there was little difference in detecting cancer – or the stage at which it was found – through earlier PSA testing.
Some of that data did not include a significant population of African American men in the studies, however, and some researchers say the recommendation from those studies does not serve black men well at all.
But black men tend to have higher PSA levels with or without cancer, according to Modlin, so regular screenings are likely more critical.
“…we believe primary care physicians should have a lower threshold for referring African American men who have a suspiciously high PSA level for further urologic evaluation,” Modlin said.
He also noted that men also can benefit from a healthy lifestyle, including daily exercise, maintaining a healthy body weight and eating a low-fat diet.
But they should get tested, know their family history and stay on top of their health profile.
Click here for answers to your “Get Well Wednesday” questions.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31