When Spike Lee needed funds for his new movie, he turned to his fans, friends and supporters who answered the call, raising over $1.2 million dollars via Kickstarter. Now the Father of the Funk, legendary bassist Bootsy Collins, wants you to do the same. He and his wife, Patti, are starting their own Kickstarter campaign to help fund a new tour bus and a new CD/DVD project. That tour will then help the Collins’ charity drive, the I Give A Funk Groovement, which will provide the homeless and other needy people with food and services during each tour stop.
“Back in the day, we used to have support as far as record companies, sponsors and that kind of thing to offset the tour costs,” Colllins told Skip Cheatham on the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “Other groups out there have sponsors. These groups don’t have to spend their own money. But we can’t get no support for the funk of it. This Kickstarter thing will help us get out to the cities that we haven’t been to. It’s not that we don’t want to go, it’s that it’s so expensive to get gas for the funkship.”
Midnight Star, Eddie Levert, Musiq Soulchild, Shirley Murdock Zapp, and Gladys Knight have all been recruited to potentially do a tour that will assist the Collins’ desire to see “Unity In the Community.” Instead of just doing a song, Collins sees this as a musical mission to bring his funkdafied brand of peace and love to the masses.
“We want this to actually happen and take this around the world,” says Collins. “We don’t just want a one-off. We want to set a trend because there are no positive movement where people who don’t have nothing. There’s only so much a government or a president can do. We want to start this thing where people are doing it for themselves and we want to show them out to do this.”
If you want to fund the funk, then head over to Bootsy’s official site where you can be directly connected to his Kickstarter campaign. Or check him out on Twitter @Bootsy_Collins where the #IGiveaFunk movement is in full swing.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25