4 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bring milk just to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; gradually whisk in butter and grits. Reduce heat, and simmer, whisking constantly, 5 to 7 minutes or until grits are done. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in egg and next 3 ingredients. Pour into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
3. Bake, covered, at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until mixture is set. Serve immediately.
Breakfast Sliders (from Southern Living)
6 bacon slices or 3 sausage patties or links
2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 large egg
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Vegetable cooking spray
8 large eggs
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
1 tablespoon butter
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Cook bacon or sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat 12 to 14 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon or sausage, and drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon or dice sausage into pieces.
2. Heat a 12-cup muffin pan in oven 5 minutes.
3. Combine cornmeal mix and sugar in a medium bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
4. Stir together buttermilk and egg; add to cornmeal mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in melted butter, cheese, and bacon or sausage. Remove pan from oven, and coat with cooking spray. Spoon batter into hot muffin pan, filling almost completely full.
5. Bake at 425° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan to a wire rack, and let cool 10 minutes.
6. Whisk together eggs, water, and Creole seasoning in a medium bowl. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large nonstick skillet. Add egg mixture, and cook, without stirring, 2 to 3 minutes or until eggs begin to set on bottom. Gently draw cooked edges away from sides of pan to form large pieces. Cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes or until eggs are thickened and moist. (Do not overstir.) Cut muffins in half, and spoon eggs over bottom halves. Cover with top halves of muffins.
1 banana, peeled and sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 watermelon, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
1/2 pound grapes, halved (about 1 cup)
2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
1 navel orange, peeled and sectioned
10 strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup powdered sugar, divided
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, divided (about 2 lemons)
2 cups greek yogurt
Toss together first 6 ingredients, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a large bowl.
Pour remaining lemon juice into a saucer. Dip rims of 6 parfait, wine, or martini glasses in remaining lemon juice; dip rims in remaining 2 tablespoons powdered sugar.
Fill martini glasses with fruit mixture.
Kicked Up Sweet Tea
2 cups cranberry juice
1 cup sweet tea-flavored vodka (try Jeremiah Weed or Firefly brands)
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
5 cups ice cubes
1 (12-oz.) can lemon-lime soft drink
Stir together cranberry juice, vodka, and lemon juice in a large pitcher. Stir in ice cubes, and top with lemon-lime soft drink. Gently stir. Serve immediately.