A: Well, obviously it’s extremely humbling. First of all, yeah, I went into the speech knowing that nothing can match Dr. King’s words, but also the moment. With all the stakes that were so high at the time, you know, the incredible outpouring of support that the civil rights movement received from all across the country from just ordinary folks who, you know, were just sick and tired of being sick and tired.
A: And were willing to put themselves on the line like that and make enormous sacrifices. And for us, 50 years later, to be able to recognize those accomplishments and take great pride in what our parents and grandparents did, but also understanding we’ve still got work to do ourselves. It was a wonderful moment and hopefully we’ll inspire this generation of young people to get back out there and make sure that they’re doing what they can to create a more just America.
Q: And you always make the connection of jobs and justice.
Q: Of course that was the thing back then. How do we do that now?
A: Well, this is the biggest challenge. I think if Dr. King came back today and saw the progress that we made he would say that we’ve made incredible progress in civil rights, in how people are treated, the mere fact that an African-American could be elected President would be mindboggling to him. On the other hand if you looked at the economic situation he would say that, you know, the inequality that still exists, the welfare act that still exists, the inner city poverty that’s still out there. We haven’t made as big a stride on that front as we should have. And I think for us to make real progress on that there’s some things that we’re going to have to do at the federal government level. We’ve made some progress; the Affordable Care Act, Obamacare. That will give healthcare security to people who didn’t have it before. The work that we did to make sure that we provided more Pell grants means more students can access college than ever before. But we’ve also got to do things, for example, setting up early childhood education programs targeting neighborhoods that are having trouble, and helping to rebuild housing, and improve transportation so that businesses want to locate there. Those are all areas where we could be making a difference right now raising the minimum wage which would life people out of poverty. Those are things that require legislative effort. Right now, obviously, there’s a lot of gridlock in Washington, but we just got to keep on pressing, remembering that, you know, it took decades between the time of the Emancipation Proclamation being signed, and the Civil Rights Act being passed, and then it took another couple of decades before the enforcement was real. And, you know, these things take time, but we got to stay persistent and not lose hope.
Q: If you’re just tuning in we are talking face-to-face with our President in the Oval Office. Thank you so much. I love your space. (Chuckle)
« Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30