A: Well, obviously it’s extremely humbling. First of all, yeah, I went into the speech knowing that nothing can match Dr. King’s words, but also the moment. With all the stakes that were so high at the time, you know, the incredible outpouring of support that the civil rights movement received from all across the country from just ordinary folks who, you know, were just sick and tired of being sick and tired.
A: And were willing to put themselves on the line like that and make enormous sacrifices. And for us, 50 years later, to be able to recognize those accomplishments and take great pride in what our parents and grandparents did, but also understanding we’ve still got work to do ourselves. It was a wonderful moment and hopefully we’ll inspire this generation of young people to get back out there and make sure that they’re doing what they can to create a more just America.
Q: And you always make the connection of jobs and justice.
Q: Of course that was the thing back then. How do we do that now?
A: Well, this is the biggest challenge. I think if Dr. King came back today and saw the progress that we made he would say that we’ve made incredible progress in civil rights, in how people are treated, the mere fact that an African-American could be elected President would be mindboggling to him. On the other hand if you looked at the economic situation he would say that, you know, the inequality that still exists, the welfare act that still exists, the inner city poverty that’s still out there. We haven’t made as big a stride on that front as we should have. And I think for us to make real progress on that there’s some things that we’re going to have to do at the federal government level. We’ve made some progress; the Affordable Care Act, Obamacare. That will give healthcare security to people who didn’t have it before. The work that we did to make sure that we provided more Pell grants means more students can access college than ever before. But we’ve also got to do things, for example, setting up early childhood education programs targeting neighborhoods that are having trouble, and helping to rebuild housing, and improve transportation so that businesses want to locate there. Those are all areas where we could be making a difference right now raising the minimum wage which would life people out of poverty. Those are things that require legislative effort. Right now, obviously, there’s a lot of gridlock in Washington, but we just got to keep on pressing, remembering that, you know, it took decades between the time of the Emancipation Proclamation being signed, and the Civil Rights Act being passed, and then it took another couple of decades before the enforcement was real. And, you know, these things take time, but we got to stay persistent and not lose hope.
Q: If you’re just tuning in we are talking face-to-face with our President in the Oval Office. Thank you so much. I love your space. (Chuckle)
« Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page »
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31