NEW YORK (AP) — Bob Guillo spent almost $35,000 hoping to learn some of Donald Trump‘s real estate secrets. Instead, he says, he left the sessions of Trump University cash-poor, with little more than a photo of himself next to a life-size cardboard cutout of the mogul, who never even showed up.
“They told everybody to get their credit card limits raised to buy real estate, but the true purpose was to pay $35,000 for the next bunch of seminars,” said Guillo, of Manhasset, on Long Island.
Nora Hanna dished out about $17,000 for the Trump University program, concluding after just a few days that “what I learned there, I could read on the Internet.”
The Brooklyn woman fought for two months to get her money back as promised to those who changed their mind within three days. “They wouldn’t answer my calls or emails,” she said. Eventually, she said, her money was returned.
Trump’s former students are coming forward to tell their stories in the wake of a $40 million lawsuit against “The Apprentice” star and his real estate school by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, who says Trump helped run a phony university that promised to make students rich but instead steered them into expensive and largely useless seminars.
The billionaire developer says that Schneiderman’s lawsuit is false and that his school had done a “fantastic job,” with a 98 percent approval rating among students from around the country. He called the attorney general “a political hack looking to get publicity.”
Guillo said that in the group seminars he attended in New York hotel conference rooms in 2009 and early 2010, an instructor “was flashing his Rolex watch and wearing a very expensive suit and fancy cufflinks as he told us his rags-to-riches story.”
“We followed PowerPoint presentations, and they gave us loose-leaf manuals and websites you could pull up on your home computer. We were all scammed,” Guillo said.
Not everyone feels that way.
Marla Rains-Colic called her experience “extremely positive.”
“It was an education that opened the door for us in real estate,” said Rains-Colic, who with her husband paid $25,000 for a private, three-day “mentorship” program” in St. Louis with a real estate expert from Wisconsin chosen by Trump’s organization.
Michael Greco is another grateful student who calls the lawsuit baseless. After a free introductory presentation, the New Jersey resident spent $500 for an online tutorial offered by Trump.
“I got my value, and it was real value,” Greco said, adding that he never felt pressured to pay or do any more than that. “I got my money’s worth.”
According to the lawsuit, some students in the initial three-day group seminar costing $1,495 were upset that they were pressured to take more expensive Trump “Elite” programs.
Asked for names of students who testified for the lawsuit, Schneiderman’s office provided only two — Guillo’s and Hanna’s.
Another student claiming the program didn’t fulfill its promise of insider expertise is Sema Tekinay. She said she paid $10,000 in 2009 and was supposed to get three instructor-led courses in New York or New Jersey — near her Manhattan home — with access to advisers to guide her to private lenders and foreclosed properties.
Instead, she said, she was told the courses would be offered in Texas and California — and then, only online.
She tried to cancel but was told she could not because three days had already passed.
“I felt fooled,” she said.
Another student, Gregory Ryan, has sued Trump University separately in state court on Long Island, saying he was the victim of a $25,000 “rip-off.”
And in California, Tarla Makaeff filed a class-action lawsuit against Trump in San Diego federal court, claiming she was scammed out of nearly $60,000 while attending seminars in 2008.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31