LOS ANGELES (AP) — Michael Jackson requested the anesthetic propofol to help him sleep at least a decade before he died from an overdose of the drug, a doctor testified Wednesday.
Dr. Christine Quinn said Jackson summoned her to a Beverly Hills hotel in 1998 or 1999 and asked her to give him propofol.
The request came after she met the entertainer while he was undergoing dental procedures. She said she refused the request and told Jackson it wasn’t appropriate to use anesthesia as a sleep aid.
“I told him that the sleep you get with anesthesia is not real sleep, not restful sleep,” Quinn said.
Jackson responded by saying his time under anesthesia was the best sleep he had ever had, she testified.
Jackson died in 2009 from an overdose of propofol that was administered in the singer’s bedroom by Conrad Murray, who was later convicted of involuntary manslaughter.
Quinn was testifying for the defense in a negligent hiring lawsuit filed by Jackson’s mother against AEG Live LLC, the promoters of the singer’s ill-fated comeback concerts. AEG denies it hired Murray.
Quinn said she gave Jackson anesthesia for procedures done after the meeting at the hotel. He never asked for propofol after the meeting or requested that he be kept under for longer than was medically necessary, she said.
Jurors also heard Wednesday from Cherilyn Lee, a nurse practitioner who said Jackson said he needed propofol to help him sleep in April 2009, a little more than two months before his death. Lee said she warned Jackson that propofol was unsafe for home use and he might not wake up, but the singer insisted that doctors told him he would be fine as long as he was monitored.