He’s the legendary Kid Capri. The Bronx DJ whose work on the 1s and 2s have helped pave a way for other DJs chopped it up with GIANTLife.comon the red carpet at the 2013 BMI R&B/Hip-Hop awards. Although we only had six minutes, Capri dropped some gems on us. Read about his persistent female fans, the advice Jam Master Jay gave him and he who deems the original creator of hip-hop.
Everyone take out your pens and pencils, class is in session!
What did you do with your first big check?
I gave it to my mother.
Really? Okay, so what did you do with your second big check?
I bought a car. I bought some clothes. Now that I think about it, my first check I gave most of the money to my mother. The second check, that’s when I got a little creative.
What is the best piece of advice anyone in the industry has given you?
Stay real. Stay yourself. Stay how you are. Don’t change for anybody and that’s how I’ve been for my whole career. A lot of people told me that but Jam Master Jay was definitely one of them, as well as my dad.
What’s your craziest groupie story?
I remember one time I was asleep in my hotel. It was about 5:30 in the morning and my phone rang and a chick said ‘Kid Capri?’ I said yeah. Then she said ‘I called every hotel in the city asking if this was Kid Capri’s hotel until I found you.’ She stalked me all day and called every hotel in the city until she found out which hotel I was staying in. From that day on I decided I was going to use my real name when checking into a hotels, not Kid Capri. That’s just one story, I could tell you some nasty sh*t!
If you found out you were going to die and you could go to one last concert, the performer could be dead or alive, who would you see?
He’s the reason we have a job. He’s the reason for hip-hop music. Without him, I probably wouldn’t be here. You have to understand what this man stood for. He’s the reason there’s a downbeat. Before him, there was a Motown sound. Then he came and he created hip-hop. So years later on when we went and sampled his music and did it the way he did it, we created a whole other genre of music off of something he did. So without him a whole nation of hip-hop people wouldn’t have a job.
Follow @giant_life For The Latest In Music, Men's Culture, Sneakers, Sports And Lifestyle—
GIANT Life (@giant_life) July 09, 2013
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Kid Capri On James Brown : ‘Without Him, I Probably Wouldn’t Have A Job’