He’s the legendary Kid Capri. The Bronx DJ whose work on the 1s and 2s have helped pave a way for other DJs chopped it up with GIANTLife.comon the red carpet at the 2013 BMI R&B/Hip-Hop awards. Although we only had six minutes, Capri dropped some gems on us. Read about his persistent female fans, the advice Jam Master Jay gave him and he who deems the original creator of hip-hop.
Everyone take out your pens and pencils, class is in session!
What did you do with your first big check?
I gave it to my mother.
Really? Okay, so what did you do with your second big check?
I bought a car. I bought some clothes. Now that I think about it, my first check I gave most of the money to my mother. The second check, that’s when I got a little creative.
What is the best piece of advice anyone in the industry has given you?
Stay real. Stay yourself. Stay how you are. Don’t change for anybody and that’s how I’ve been for my whole career. A lot of people told me that but Jam Master Jay was definitely one of them, as well as my dad.
What’s your craziest groupie story?
I remember one time I was asleep in my hotel. It was about 5:30 in the morning and my phone rang and a chick said ‘Kid Capri?’ I said yeah. Then she said ‘I called every hotel in the city asking if this was Kid Capri’s hotel until I found you.’ She stalked me all day and called every hotel in the city until she found out which hotel I was staying in. From that day on I decided I was going to use my real name when checking into a hotels, not Kid Capri. That’s just one story, I could tell you some nasty sh*t!
If you found out you were going to die and you could go to one last concert, the performer could be dead or alive, who would you see?
He’s the reason we have a job. He’s the reason for hip-hop music. Without him, I probably wouldn’t be here. You have to understand what this man stood for. He’s the reason there’s a downbeat. Before him, there was a Motown sound. Then he came and he created hip-hop. So years later on when we went and sampled his music and did it the way he did it, we created a whole other genre of music off of something he did. So without him a whole nation of hip-hop people wouldn’t have a job.
Follow @giant_life For The Latest In Music, Men's Culture, Sneakers, Sports And Lifestyle—
GIANT Life (@giant_life) July 09, 2013
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30
Continue reading Kid Capri On James Brown : ‘Without Him, I Probably Wouldn’t Have A Job’