On Saturday, August 24, 2013, tens of thousands of people gathered at the Lincoln Memorial to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington. Crowds gathered in the same fashion as they did in 1963 to hear Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. The day featured speakers who serve as civil rights leaders today: Attorney General Eric Holder, Newark Mayor Cory Booker and Rep. John Lewis, who was the youngest speaker at the original event in the early 60’s.
While women like Rosa Parks and Dorothy Height marched with Dr. King and other civil leaders, women played an even larger role in this year’s celebration than they may have in 1963. Myrlie Evers-Williams took the podium to give a new definition to ‘Stand Your Ground,’ the law which freed George Zimmerman in the tragic Trayvon Martin case.
Issues addressed at this year’s march included the Supreme Court’s ruling of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, a ruling which allows nine states, mostly in the South, to change their election laws without federal approval. The states of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia will not have to receive clearance from the Justice Department or a federal court in Washington before they make changes to voting procedures, like moving a polling place, or redrawing electoral districts. President Obama has said publicly that he was “deeply disappointed” by the ruling of the Supreme Court.
Another hot topic was the Trayvon Martin case verdict. Martin’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, spoke briefly at the march. She has released the single “Joy In the Morning” in honor of her son’s memory and senseless killing.
The march, which was sponsored by the Rev. Al Sharpton’s National Action Network, Martin Luther King III and the NAACP, continued on to Dr. King’s historic statute and the Washington Memorial.
The well-attended march is the first major event leading up to an anticipated day when the first black president will speak on a landmark day in history.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25