On Saturday, August 24, 2013, tens of thousands of people gathered at the Lincoln Memorial to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington. Crowds gathered in the same fashion as they did in 1963 to hear Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. The day featured speakers who serve as civil rights leaders today: Attorney General Eric Holder, Newark Mayor Cory Booker and Rep. John Lewis, who was the youngest speaker at the original event in the early 60’s.
While women like Rosa Parks and Dorothy Height marched with Dr. King and other civil leaders, women played an even larger role in this year’s celebration than they may have in 1963. Myrlie Evers-Williams took the podium to give a new definition to ‘Stand Your Ground,’ the law which freed George Zimmerman in the tragic Trayvon Martin case.
Issues addressed at this year’s march included the Supreme Court’s ruling of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, a ruling which allows nine states, mostly in the South, to change their election laws without federal approval. The states of Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia will not have to receive clearance from the Justice Department or a federal court in Washington before they make changes to voting procedures, like moving a polling place, or redrawing electoral districts. President Obama has said publicly that he was “deeply disappointed” by the ruling of the Supreme Court.
Another hot topic was the Trayvon Martin case verdict. Martin’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, spoke briefly at the march. She has released the single “Joy In the Morning” in honor of her son’s memory and senseless killing.
The march, which was sponsored by the Rev. Al Sharpton’s National Action Network, Martin Luther King III and the NAACP, continued on to Dr. King’s historic statute and the Washington Memorial.
The well-attended march is the first major event leading up to an anticipated day when the first black president will speak on a landmark day in history.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
27 photos Launch gallery
1. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
1 of 27
2. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
2 of 27
3. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
3 of 27
4. Jus haaaanngin out
4 of 27
5. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
5 of 27
6. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
6 of 27
7. new new
7 of 27
8. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
8 of 27
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 27
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 27
11 of 27
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 27
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 27
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 27
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 27
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 27
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 27
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 27
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 27
20 of 27
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 27
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 27
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 27
24. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
24 of 27
25. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
25 of 27
26. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
26 of 27
27. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
27 of 27