There are taterheads, and then there are total taterheads.
Former Florida Rep. Allen West just might be a total taterhead.
West is known for being black and conservative. Nothing wrong with that. I’m just as black and every bit as conservative as he is.
But he and I part company on several things. When he went on an “all Muslims are evil” rant a while back, I figured it might be best to dismiss any comment he made after that.
If a recent rant of his is any indication, then my dismissal was completely justified.
What has West in high dudgeon is the incident in which three black teens attacked a 13-year-old white boy on a Florida school bus. West’s rant about the incident follows:
“Three 15-year-old black kids beat up a white kid because he told school officials they tried to sell him drugs. Do you hear anything from Sharpton, Jackson, NAACP, Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z, liberal media or Hollywood? Cat got your tongues or is it that pathetic hypocrisy revealing itself once again? Y’all just make me sick.”
You have to wonder about a guy that can diss Reverend Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, the NAACP, Jay-Z and a blind Stevie Wonder all at once.
But it isn’t the blind Stevie Wonder that matters here; it’s the blind Ray Charles, who’s quite dead. But even Ray Charles, dead and blind, could see everything that’s wrong with West’s rant.
It’s one thing to make apples to oranges comparisons; West chooses to make apples to hand grenades analogies, and those grenades have exploded right in his kisser.
Shall we count the ways the July 9 incident on a Florida school bus differs from George Zimmerman’s fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin?
1. That 13-year-old white victim is still alive.
Yes, he did receive a beating that, judging from video taken of the incident, can only be described as vicious.
Yes, he did suffer a broken arm and two black eyes. But the boy lived to tell his tale. And having a broken arm and two black eyes beats being dead seven days a week and twice on Sunday.
2. The boy’s attackers were arrested almost immediately. One month later, they were in court.
Compare that to what happened with the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin situation.
Police in Sanford, Fla., barely conducted an investigation. They bought Zimmerman’s story that Martin attacked him and that he fired in self-defense, hook, line and sinker.
They never bothered to consider, even remotely, that Martin might have attacked Zimmerman because the youth thought some nut was stalking him.
While I’m on this subject, isn’t it time someone questioned Zimmerman’s REAL reason for following and stalking Martin the night of Feb. 12, 2012?
Yes, we know the reason Zimmerman gave: that Martin looked like he was “up to no good” and that there had been several neighborhood burglaries.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve always been suspicious of grown men that follow and stalk young boys.
3. There was nothing racial about the July 9 incident.
West said as much himself: the attack was inspired by revenge, not race. The attackers were out to get payback because they thought the 13-year-old had “snitched.”
The beating of the 13-year-old was more a result of the “Stop Snitching” mentality afflicting today’s youth – white ones as well as black ones – than the result of racial animus.
Once again, compare that to the Zimmerman/Martin case. For months, Zimmerman’s supporters have espoused the fiction that the shooting had nothing to do with race, but consider the following, from the transcript of the taped call Zimmerman made to police the night he shot Martin:
“He’s got his hand in his waistband. And he’s a black male.”
Zimmerman was talking about Martin, and it’s clear exactly what he meant.
“Uh oh. Black kid’s got his hand in his waistband. You know how those black males are, especially when they’re reaching into their waistbands.”
4. No one supports what the 13-year-old attackers did.
Compare that to the support Zimmerman got – and continues to get – from American conservatives. With most of these people, Zimmerman’s a hero.
It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that West is one of them.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30