After CNN anchor Don Lemon said that Black people could help themselves by “pulling their pants up” he found himself in hot water with social media, especially “Black Twitter,” who’s #DonLemonlogic hashtag was one of it’s most hilarious commentaries. Lemon has rebounded by hosting the CNN special “We Were There: The March on Washington – An Oral History” set to air on Friday, August 23 at 10 p.m.
It uses testimony from some of the original marchers to tell the story of how the original 1963 March on Washington, where Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his famous “I Have a Dream” speech, was put together. Without social media to spread the word, the March relied on dedicated organizers to get the word out.
“We’ve got some of the original organizers and we’ve got the woman who was in charge of the phone bank,” Lemon told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “And she goes through how she stood there on the day of the March and she looked at all those hundreds of thousands of people and she said ‘I must have talked to all of these people.’
She said ‘I’m going to sit right there on the steps of the Memorial and lean my head against this column because I’m so tired, I’ve been working 24 hours for weeks’ and the next thing she knew somebody was saying ‘C’mon, let’s go, it’s over.”
Union leader A. Philip Randolph was one of the key people behind the March. Georgia Representative John Lewis, another instrumental part of the March, is the only one of 10 speakers from that day who is still alive. But it was civil rights activist Bayard Rustin, who will posthumously receive the nation’s highest civilian honor, The Presidential Medal of Freedom this year, was the March’s main organizer. He’d already organized a smaller march with 3,000 people but this one was going to be on a much larger scale.
“They weren’t sure that people were going to show up,” Lemon says. “A lot of people were against it because they thought [it would] derail the civil rights laws that they were trying to get enacted. Finally everyone said everyone was on board and it was a lot of bluffing. They went to the churches and unions.
Tom reminded Lemon that Black radio played a huge role as well in organizing the 1963 March. “It was part of every black person’s life. We got the message out.”
Lemon’s takeaway from doing the special was that people were drawn to the March for one central reason.
“They had passion more than anything else,” Lemon says. “When I asked John Lewis how we could honor him, Lewis said that [back then] we were all galvanized for one cause. And that he doesn’t see that anymore.”
The documentary starts with one young man who started walking to the March from Gadsen, Alabama. Despite the obvious challenges of such a journey the young man told Lemon that what we wore was important.
“For every march, every protest, every sit -in I wore a three piece suit,” he told Lemon. “Because if I went to jail I wanted to go to jail with dignity.”
Lemon says it’s that kind of commitment that influenced his recent conversation about Black America and how he feels young Black men, especially should take heed to their example.
“Those people were about taking care of themselves and pulling themselves up and making sure they had dignity and passion and that they did the right thing and that they were personally responsible for themselves.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31