If you’re heading down to DC for the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington on Saturday, August 24, there are few things you need to know. Events actually begin on the 22nd and are spread throughout the city. The actual anniversary date of the 1963 March is August 28th and on that day, there will be a worldwide “Let Freedom Ring” celebration featuring a speech by President Barack Obama.
You can find the official schedule and information about the March at their website or via their Facebook page Twitter or Instagram. Elliot Ferguson, the CEO of Destination DC, the convention and visitors bureau handling the Washington, D.C., area joined the Tom Joyner Morning Show to talk about transportation, accommodations and the schedule of events.
TJMS: When does it actually start?
Elliot Ferguson: It starts on the 24th, this Saturday and technically it starts on the 22nd, with events and activities at various museums around the city. TJMS: And how about the hotels? Are you booked? Elliot: Well, we’ve got availability in the city. I think that what usually happens is people start making reservations. We’ve seen an uptick in terms of rooms being sold out in various hotels but we still have a lot of availability.
TJMS: The last we heard from Rev. Al, there were over 700 buses coming into the city. Have you heard another number?
Elliot: We’ve heard a lot of numbers. The process with buses coming into the city is that they have to actually register through the DC Department of Transportation, which makes it easier for us to track and the Department of Transportation gives them a place to stage during any event in the city. And one of the major staging places is RFK Stadium, which has been sold out, at least one of the major parking lots. We have seen a lot of buses being registered, and we anticipate this week especially and us trying to find places to stage in the city.
TJMS: So how many people do you think are actually coming?
Elliot: That’s the question of the year. We anticipate thousands of people coming to the city. It’s kind of hard to tell, because hotels aren’t necessarily sold out quite yet. More than likely, people will come in for the 24, the actual date (the anniversary date of the original March) is the 28th, so we anticipate people coming in for this weekend and then returning for the 28th as well. We think a lot of people will be in the city but we don’t know an actual number yet. For information on hotels, activities, national historic sites and more in the Washington, D.C. area, click here. http://washington.org/
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30