This week, we welcome D.L. Hughley to the Reach Media family. The newly syndicated D.L. Hughley afternoon radio show gives D.L. a chance to do what he does so well, entertain us with his special brand of humor that covers everything from politics to being a husband and dad.
D.L. is no stranger, of course, to the African American market that his new show will target. He’s a hard-working comedian who never rests on his laurels, and I like that. Whether it’s his stand up, his CNN news show, his hilarious book or radio, D.L. never forgets where he came from. Even as he broadens his audience he calls out BS wherever he sees it. I’ve watched him grow up in the comedy clubs and I’m excited to have a part in this most recent career move. It lines up with the vision I originally had when I signed on with ABC Radio and became the first black syndicated talk show host back in 1994.
Next year marks the 20th anniversary of the Tom Joyner Morning Show and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t proud of the show starting in 29 markets and expanding to more than 100. But that never would have been as sweet without the opportunity to open doors for other African American radio personalities. These 20 years have brought a lot of changes to the industry and to the TJMS as well. After forming our own company, Reach Media that among other things, syndicates the Tom Joyner Morning Show, we merged with media giant Radio One, and combined our network programs to include Rickey Smiley, Russ Parr, Yolanda Adams, Rev. Al Sharpton, James Fortune and now D.L. Hughley.
My love for radio hasn’t changed since the moment I realized it would allow me to do everything I ever dreamed of…and that’s even before I was getting paid a lot of money! It gave me a chance to come to work in shorts and a t-shirt, talk and laugh with people I like and play the kind of music I’d be listening to anyway.
But as we continue to step up our game with radio and social media in a world filled with more distractions than ever, the key is remembering our core goals– to empower, inform and entertain black people. I’m thankful for the opportunity as we grow to reach audiences of over 12 million listeners. But I always knew that it was something that could be done by others too if given the chance—and there’s still room for more!
Come get some of this, D.L.!
Tune in to The D.L. Hughley Show afternoons from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. eastern. Check your local listing.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31