This week, we welcome D.L. Hughley to the Reach Media family. The newly syndicated D.L. Hughley afternoon radio show gives D.L. a chance to do what he does so well, entertain us with his special brand of humor that covers everything from politics to being a husband and dad.
D.L. is no stranger, of course, to the African American market that his new show will target. He’s a hard-working comedian who never rests on his laurels, and I like that. Whether it’s his stand up, his CNN news show, his hilarious book or radio, D.L. never forgets where he came from. Even as he broadens his audience he calls out BS wherever he sees it. I’ve watched him grow up in the comedy clubs and I’m excited to have a part in this most recent career move. It lines up with the vision I originally had when I signed on with ABC Radio and became the first black syndicated talk show host back in 1994.
Next year marks the 20th anniversary of the Tom Joyner Morning Show and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t proud of the show starting in 29 markets and expanding to more than 100. But that never would have been as sweet without the opportunity to open doors for other African American radio personalities. These 20 years have brought a lot of changes to the industry and to the TJMS as well. After forming our own company, Reach Media that among other things, syndicates the Tom Joyner Morning Show, we merged with media giant Radio One, and combined our network programs to include Rickey Smiley, Russ Parr, Yolanda Adams, Rev. Al Sharpton, James Fortune and now D.L. Hughley.
My love for radio hasn’t changed since the moment I realized it would allow me to do everything I ever dreamed of…and that’s even before I was getting paid a lot of money! It gave me a chance to come to work in shorts and a t-shirt, talk and laugh with people I like and play the kind of music I’d be listening to anyway.
But as we continue to step up our game with radio and social media in a world filled with more distractions than ever, the key is remembering our core goals– to empower, inform and entertain black people. I’m thankful for the opportunity as we grow to reach audiences of over 12 million listeners. But I always knew that it was something that could be done by others too if given the chance—and there’s still room for more!
Come get some of this, D.L.!
Tune in to The D.L. Hughley Show afternoons from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. eastern. Check your local listing.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25