The mother of Trayvon Martin spoke out Sunday against the stop-and-frisk police practice in New York City, saying neither police nor civilians have the right to stop someone because of their race.

Critics say the stops target blacks and Hispanics who aren’t doing anything wrong. Earlier this week, a judge told New York City that its policy was racial discrimination. The city plans to appeal.

“You can’t give people the authority, whether civilian or police officers the right to just stop somebody because of the color of their skin,” Martin’s mother, Sybrina Fulton said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Over the past decade, New York police have stopped, questioned and sometimes patted down about 5 million people; 87 percent were black or Hispanic. About 10 percent of the stops spur an arrest or summons. Police find weapons a fraction of the time.

New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly defended the use of stop and frisk Sunday and said violent crimes would increase if the practice were abandoned.

“The losers in this, if this case is allowed to stand, are people who live in minority communities,” he said on CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

Fulton’s attorney, Benjamin Crump, said the stop and frisk policy targeted people by race and noted it was still being used as the 50th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I have a dream” speech approached.

“It actually takes us away from his poignant words of, ‘I dreamed my children would be judged by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin,'” Crump said.

Fulton has said neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman “got away with murder” in the 2012 killing of her son, largely because of Florida’s self-defense law.

Protesters had been occupying part of the Capitol in Tallahassee, calling for an examination of the Florida law since Zimmerman was acquitted last month. Zimmerman claimed self-defense in shooting the 17-year-old Martin during a fight; Martin’s supporters say Zimmerman profiled and followed him because Martin was black.

(Photo: AP)

19 thoughts on “Sybrina Fulton Speaks Out Against Stop-Frisk

1. 50 years MLK Day celebration: KKK Threat saddens my heart. They’re marching I’m still dealing with racism, unfair education system and violations of injustices. 50 years later, there is less of an” innocent until proven guilty system.” There is less interest in remedy injustices and equal rights. There is almost no interest in discovering the truth. People that can provide legal help, don’t have time unless you have the money. By the time a poor person can save the money, the statue time of limitations is up. This plan works out perfect for the persons and corporations in the wrong. However, it keeps the oppressed depressed for they have waited so long for nothing. http://www.youcaring.com/help-a-neighbor/kkk-school-threat/81338
    Their justice fighting went from days to years without seeing JUSTICE come to light. The court will not hear the long kept evidence. So, while we cry for help, they flip the calendar of no justice.

2. {Still think I’m mental or overprotective}
    ABC NEWS: School Gunman Took Hostages, Car May Have Bombs

KKK School Threat /Two knifes (Knifes don’t make a gun sound, but they kill)
    Children Withdrawn from School
    Need legal help!

Look at my beautiful children GOD blessed me with! We have to hold the School District accountable. We have to keep children safe.rjohnson4ob (at) gmail (dot) com

3. Uncle G on said:

This stop-and-frisk law in New York deservedly was ruled “discriminatory” by a judge. New York Police and Commissioner Raymond Kelly want to make their jobs easy by these discriminatory practices.
    As Ms. Martin said “neither police nor civilians have the right to stop someone because of their race”
    PERIOD!

• JanCorey on said:

Just as long as they stop and frisk every black person because crime statistics show that blacks are more likely than any other race to be convicted-felons and criminals, and Trayvon proved that to be true.

• Rayar Johnson on said:

Please, Please Help us! In the February 14,2013 Wayne County Newspaper,( Front Page) It tells of the school violations and bullying and harassment my children have suffered in the WCSD, Mississippi. But, it did not mention that the latest of those threats were from the school KKK note. Now, this same girl where two knifes were found on her is back at school and sitting behind my child on their bus.
        This is not the first racial discrimination . My kids have a right to a safe school environment.
        The WCSD said they would handle it and they would prosecute and she would not be back on that campus. They would not tell me one court date no notification, just it’s been handled. 911 did not even send an officer at my request the day of.
        The children are shocked and scared. I beg for justice. I do not know why help for justice is so hard. They are not going back to school until they are represented. This is sad that anyone would think we are okay with this.

My children are not in school getting their education because of fear. rjohnson4ob(at) gmail (dot) com

• JanCorey on said:

Rayar Johnson, we will pray for you all. I wish you the best and please stay in contact with us all.

4. laulie6 on said:

before I looked at the paycheck ov $8678, I have faith that my father in law was like they say realey receiving money part-time at there computar.. there great aunt has been doing this for under 19 months and as of now cleared the mortgage on their cottage and purchased a gorgeous Infiniti. I went here, …………………. http://goo.gg/If

5. laulie6 on said:

6. the Timekeeper on said:

To NateDogg and any other son this post. Please do not waste your time responding to JanCorey. He has been on these posts since the Trayvon Martin Trial. Not for objective commentary, but merely for the sole and express purpose of inciitng racism and bigotry. When yousee his name or hateful comments just leave the site. He only wants to stir and conjure up hate. Please do not waste your time with his posts.

7. Natedogii on said:

White police where doing stop and frisk when I was 15 living in Philadelphia I’m now 55 did 22 years for my country I tell you this I have ben in two war’s if there is to be a race war I have picked my side if I have to die for somesorry ass with the mind set of the kkk that think they can jude me and tell me how to live my life I will not die alone and JanCorey you suck stop using the wounded warrior app you are a coward!

• JanCorey on said:

Natedogii, why you hate our military is your problem, not ours, and why you are so against the lawful elimination of predator-thugs is something only you know as to why you appear so ignorant and unwilling to even consider any of the many facts of that case. Best wishes to you and remember to duck and weave in order to proceed.

8. Rayar Johnson on said: