A University of Iowa study suggests that African-American women have great odds of obtaining loans from lenders, and their rate of success is comparable to that of White men. According to sociologist Sarah Harkness, Black women are getting the loans because lenders see the group as mostly hard-working and trustworthy.
Harkness presented her study this morning at the annual conference for the American Sociological Association in New York. The study uses older data that showed markets for lending worked against various groups in certain markets.
“Evidence shows that disparities in funding outcomes are partially due to the actions of lenders,” said Harkness, an assistant professor in sociology at the University of Iowa. “I wanted to know what borrower characteristics lenders were picking up on.”
Harkness tested her theory by gathering hundreds of undergraduate students and alumni from West Coast institutions, many of whom work in banking and finance. Giving them a hypothetical $1,000 to loan out, the group pored over applications to figure out how much they would loan. Parameters within the group were marked by education, race, age but with similar financial profiles.
The data showed that lenders viewed education as most important but gender and race figured prominently, too. Black men ranked lowest in obtaining loans followed by White women. Lenders cited typos and employment history discrepancies as the main reasons why those two groups ranked low.
In a shocking development, Black women and White men fared far better and Harkness offered her take: “There was an assumption that the African-American woman was on her own raising a family and was therefore a motivated, hardworking and self-confident breadwinner,” she stated.
Lenders said in comments that African-American women had more of their trust and would work harder to repay loans. White women were viewed as the most distrustful of the groups reviewed. Harkness did offer that overall, small errors such as typos and grammatical mistakes lowered chances for all involved.
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.