Alfonso Ribeiro is back on TV. The beloved actor who played Carlton on “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air” and developed his own dance craze is hosting a new ABC Family Show “Spell-mageddon.” Though the show has been off the air for 17 years, it’s developed fans of a new generation through repeats. Ribeiro says that although he’s still viewed as Carlton, he doesn’t mind it – mostly.
“Ultimately, you never want to be known for one thing and one thing only but I’m certainly proud that the Carlton character has become kind of iconic and people are still in love with that character,” Ribeiro told “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” It’s a testament to what we did on that show and how ‘The Fresh Prince of Bel Air’ remains solid in people’s eyes.”
Ribeiro says that asking him to do the Carlton dance, though, has gotten a little old. “I always find it awkward because a lot of times if I’m really in a bad, bad mood when people walk up to me and they say ‘Do the dance’ I’m always like you do realize you just asked a Black man to dance for you, right? And then they freak out, but I say ‘I’m just playing.’ I get asked to do the dance every day of my life. I’d be dancing all damn day.”
Ribeiro is also not bitter about the relative fame of former co-star Will Smith and the rest of the “Fresh Prince of Bel Air” cast. (It may be something called residuals, the amount of money TV stars get paid even when their show ends, that helps with that.) When Tom pointed out that Smith’s movies have rarely included his former co-stars (though Smith did sign Tatyana Ali, who played Ashley, to a record deal years back) Ribeiro was philosophical.
“I get asked that question a bunch, and at the end of the day, there’s no obligation for anybody to cast anybody in any role unless it’s someone they believe is the best for that role in the movie. I think initially he wanted to separate himself from the show, but I don’t see why he can’t now. There’s not reason anymore. I always look at it like you never look back, you move forward and never look backwards.”
On his new game show “Spell-mageddon” he’s challenging people who should know how to spell like former spelling be champions and the like to spell the words correctly. The catch is – they’ve got to do it while they’re being distracted.
“We’ve got one game called “Zapped” that zaps them with electricity while they’re’ trying to spell, we have a microphone that shoots water in their face, we have a fire extinguisher that goes off in their back, blue icy slush gets dumped over their head and they don’t know when they’re going to get hit with any of it,” Ribeiro explains. “The reactions that the contestants give us are hysterical. It’s a fun, fun show and we have a blast.”
“Spell-mageddon” airs on ABC Family on Wednesdays at 9 p.m.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25