Dr. Sanjay Gupta has figured out what a lot of people know already – smoking weed can be a good thing. Yes, Dr. Gupta says the sticky icky, the oooh weee and hip-hop’s favorite mood adjuster is sometimes OK, and he’s hosting an hour-long TV show to prove it. “Weed,” airs on CNN on Sunday, August 11 at 8 p.m.
“I learned a lot. I think sometimes you have to dig deep on these stories, sometimes you have to travel the world, you have to go pay attention to people who very few people pay attention to, you have to listen to the patients, the legitimate patients who talk about this who have legitimate problems and need legitimate treatment, and part of the reason I have changed my tune a little bit is actually doing this work,” Dr. Gupta told the Tom Joyner Morning Show.
“The patients really hit home for me. Not only does cannabis work for them, it works for them when nothing else did.”
In “Weed,” a 6-year-old suffering from 200 to 300 epileptic seizures per week was helped by medical marijuana when other drugs had little impact. Now, she has just 2 seizures a month. Gupta says that medical marijuana is a little different from the marijuana most recreational users smoke.
The active ingredients in marijuana are THC and CBD. THC gives uses the “high” feeling some enjoy, while CBD has more medicinal qualities. The child was treated with oil developed with a higher concentration of CBD that was placed under her tongue. “The impression one should be left with is not that young kids are getting high,” says Gupta. “But that this is a very legitimate medication.”
Gupta worked on the documentary for over a year, traveling to places like Amsterdam where marijuana is used openly and other places where it’s medicinal properties are heralded. He says opening up to places where people had gone beyond the drug’s stigma to find its healing properties was eye-opening, particularly since Gupta had once been a fervent critic of marijuana use.
“If you were to search through scientific journals on marijuana, you’d find 20,000 articles. But the vast majority of them are designed to look at the harm. Very few people were looking at the benefits of it as a medicine.
What I found when I looked at other countries, particularly Israel, for example, they’ve been doing some amazing research. And they’ve gotten to a point where in hospitals and nursing homes, they will allow patients to use marijuana medicinally. I think there’s a lot to learn from the rest of the world.”
Gupta said his own experiences with marijuana left him anxious but that he now endorses it for medical reasons, especially given the amount of people who die from accidental prescription drug overdoses.
“No one I can find has died from an accidental marijuana overdose. This needs to be a serious discussion.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25