LOS ANGELES (AP) — Five women sitting around talking has become a TV staple. Five women talking, each of whom is either black, Asian or Latino, is something different.
It’s the approach tested by two shows: “The Real,” airing on a handful of Fox-owned stations, and the Aspire channel’s “Exhale.”
For “The Real,” concluding an experimental run Friday, the multi-ethnic panel of Tamar Braxton, Loni Love, Adrienne Bailon, Jeannie Mai and Tamera Mowry-Housley isn’t the point, said producer SallyAnn Salsano.
“It’s something we don’t really talk about. … We just picked who’s best for the show. We didn’t say, ‘Where’s our white one?'” Salsano said.
The difference in “The Real,” she said, is generational. Other female-centric talk shows like “The View,” the genre groundbreaker when Barbara Walters launched it in 1997, tend toward older hosts with more settled lives and perspectives.
As a 39-year-old woman with friends who are single like her or dealing with the ups and downs of married life, Salsano said, “There’s no one who represents me on any of those” other shows.
Relationships, child-rearing and other challenges “are topics these girls are living,” she said of “The Real” hosts.
Exactly, said Braxton, an R&B singer and star of the WE channel’s reality show “Tamar & Vince.”
“I’m a big fan of ‘The View’ and ‘The Talk,’ but with ‘The Real,’ it’s my generation,” whether the topic is pop culture or a candid take on daily life, she said. In a discussion of childbirth, “We really got honest with the audience. I didn’t have the best experience. … You only hear the good side” elsewhere on TV.
The daytime show concludes its four-week test Friday on stations in New York, Los Angeles, Washington, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Houston and Tampa, Fla. A similar run last summer for “Bethenny” led to a syndicated berth this fall for Bethenny Frankel’s show.
“Exhale” also is getting a summer tryout but, in contrast, the ethnicity of its five African-American co-hosts is front and center on Aspire, a black-oriented cable channel.
The goal is “to focus on topics that are important to the African-American woman and to the African-American family and to the African-American community,” said Paul Butler, general manager of Aspire, which launched “Exhale” as a weekly nighttime series in June on the channel’s first anniversary. It airs Wednesday at 8 p.m., 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. EDT.
Issues including relationships, health, beauty, careers and financial planning are discussed in what Butler said are more than “30-second sound bites” by hosts Angela Burt-Murray, Erin Jackson, Issa Rae, Rene Syler and Malinda Williams, who are joined by doctors and other experts as well as celebrities.
The panel’s ethnicity “changes the focus of the conversation,” said Syler, a writer and TV anchor. “You wouldn’t necessarily see something that was of care and concern specifically to black women when only one African-American is represented. These are issues you talk about in your living room.”
The decision on whether “Exhale” will return for a second year is pending as the audience weighs in. Syler suggested that non-black women give the show a try.
“There are issues we talk about that transcend race. There are issues that all women understand: ‘Am I on the right path, am I going to find a soul mate?'” she said. Talk shows like “Exhale” provide a sounding board and “make it safe or you to own your own feelings.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30