Well, The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the Mudville Nine that day; The score stood four to two with but one inning more to play. Then, there rose a lusty yell…For Casey, Mighty Casey was advancing to the bat.
In case you didn’t know, guys, these are lines of the classic 1888 baseball poem Casey at the Bat by Ernest Thayer… Mighty Casey, of course, was this big ‘folklorish’ figure who could consistently whack home runs until one tragic day in Mudville, with the game on the line, he struck out.
Well unfortunately, in recent years, many of the ‘Mighty Caseys’ of “America’s pastime” have been striking out… largely from scandals related to steroids…
Think Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, and, most recently, “A-Rod” who was suspended for a staggering 211 games…
Wow, so how did we get to this point? I suspect that Money played a big role.
But I’m not just talking about the earnings of players. No, I’m also talking about the leagues and corporations who make millions from steroid-using players.
For example, you may forget that baseball was just about dead in1998, still hounded by the 1994 strike, until sluggers Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa started knocking balls out of the park at a record pace.
Though this historic season has since been tarnished by the steroid scandals of both players, baseball was saved and the money flowed once more, allowing other Mighty Caseys to step to the plate.
But think about the pressure on each Casey to perform given their sport could actually die if they don’t amaze us at the bat, or heal quick enough for fans.
Think about their choice, between being a star or a no-name in a game they love, support their families with, and where many others are cheating to catch or beat them.
Yes, they should not cheat and should be held accountable for their actions. no doubt about it. But what about the leagues themselves who turn a blind eye and collect millions until the whole thing becomes a problem?
Is this fair? All I’m saying is this: As a society, we often create monsters because we need them. So when that monster ultimately brings havoc to our land, as monsters do, we’d be cheating ourselves if we fail to recognize that someone created that monster in the first place.
I’ll leave you with Thayer’s final verse, which captures the current state of our national pastime and reflects the tragic nature of what we have become, in our own American Mudville”
Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in Mudville, for mighty Casey has struck out.
Roundtable with Stephanie Robinson On-Demand Have you missed popular radio commentator from the Tom Joyner Morning Show, Stephanie Robinson, on her new Internet radio show? Or have you loved Roundtable with Stephanie Robinson so much that you want to listen to all the episodes again? Either way, you are in luck! After they air live, you can access all Roundtable with Stephanie Robinson episodes on-demand at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/robinsonsroundtable. Visit the link to listen to past episodes on hot and compelling topics like the Politics of ABC’s hit TV series Scandal, The Zimmerman Trial, The Boston Marathon Bombing, and much more to come. It’s time to gather round Robinson’s Roundtable!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30