Cris Carter is a All-Pro wide receiver who spent most of his career catching touchdown passes for the Minnesota Vikings. Aside from his recent induction into the NFL Hall of Fame and his moving speech, he’s also written a book, “Going Deep: How Wide Recievers Became the Most Compelling Figures In Pro Sports,” about the new dominance of wide receivers in football Carter can be found on several NFL shows – ESPN’s “Sunday NFL Countdown,” “Monday NFL Countdown,” “NFL Live” and “SportsCenter.” He spoke to the Tom Joyner Morning Show about Riley Cooper, the Philadelphia Eagles player in hot water over his use of the “n” word, his book and what it takes to be a receiver in today’s NFL.
TJMS: What is up with wide receivers these days? What’s up with Riley Cooper?
Cris Carter: Wide receivers we typically keep the action rolling. As far as Riley Cooper is concerned, that’s a very very tough situation. I know the Eagles are trying to rally around him and they might well do that but I don’t think the other players, the ones I’ve talked to in the NFL, are going to rally around him. This is one thing I’d like to tell him do you know how many of my people died and this was the last thing they heard? If he knew that, I think his perspective would be different.
TJMS: So what is the mindset of a wide receiver? You’ve got T.O, Chad Johnson…
They are crazy just like y’all. (Laughs). I’m in that group too. I don’t exclude myself. I just think and I know that there’s a certain personality that’s attracted to the position. When you used to go to football camps everyone wanted to be a running back. Now the running backs are getting phased out of the NFL. Now the basic formation is three wide receivers. You got a football camp now kids either want to be a quarterback or a wide receiver. Not only because catching a football is fun but because of the way you can show off your ability. Now these kids are gravitating to the position because their role models have been T.O. and Chad and these guys have had spectacular career.
TJMS: So tell us one of the craziest things you’ve ever done on or off the field?
I’ve done several things but despite my off the field behavior, I used to hang out. One time in Philadelphia, we went to a club, then we went to another club and then instead of going home I went to the stadium. I told the security guard I’m going to be in my car sleeping, wake me up when they come. I was afraid if I went home, I would oversleep. (Laughs).
(Photo: Middletown Journal)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30