Cris Carter is a All-Pro wide receiver who spent most of his career catching touchdown passes for the Minnesota Vikings. Aside from his recent induction into the NFL Hall of Fame and his moving speech, he’s also written a book, “Going Deep: How Wide Recievers Became the Most Compelling Figures In Pro Sports,” about the new dominance of wide receivers in football Carter can be found on several NFL shows – ESPN’s “Sunday NFL Countdown,” “Monday NFL Countdown,” “NFL Live” and “SportsCenter.” He spoke to the Tom Joyner Morning Show about Riley Cooper, the Philadelphia Eagles player in hot water over his use of the “n” word, his book and what it takes to be a receiver in today’s NFL.
TJMS: What is up with wide receivers these days? What’s up with Riley Cooper?
Cris Carter: Wide receivers we typically keep the action rolling. As far as Riley Cooper is concerned, that’s a very very tough situation. I know the Eagles are trying to rally around him and they might well do that but I don’t think the other players, the ones I’ve talked to in the NFL, are going to rally around him. This is one thing I’d like to tell him do you know how many of my people died and this was the last thing they heard? If he knew that, I think his perspective would be different.
TJMS: So what is the mindset of a wide receiver? You’ve got T.O, Chad Johnson…
They are crazy just like y’all. (Laughs). I’m in that group too. I don’t exclude myself. I just think and I know that there’s a certain personality that’s attracted to the position. When you used to go to football camps everyone wanted to be a running back. Now the running backs are getting phased out of the NFL. Now the basic formation is three wide receivers. You got a football camp now kids either want to be a quarterback or a wide receiver. Not only because catching a football is fun but because of the way you can show off your ability. Now these kids are gravitating to the position because their role models have been T.O. and Chad and these guys have had spectacular career.
TJMS: So tell us one of the craziest things you’ve ever done on or off the field?
I’ve done several things but despite my off the field behavior, I used to hang out. One time in Philadelphia, we went to a club, then we went to another club and then instead of going home I went to the stadium. I told the security guard I’m going to be in my car sleeping, wake me up when they come. I was afraid if I went home, I would oversleep. (Laughs).
(Photo: Middletown Journal)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31