Cris Carter is a All-Pro wide receiver who spent most of his career catching touchdown passes for the Minnesota Vikings. Aside from his recent induction into the NFL Hall of Fame and his moving speech, he’s also written a book, “Going Deep: How Wide Recievers Became the Most Compelling Figures In Pro Sports,” about the new dominance of wide receivers in football Carter can be found on several NFL shows – ESPN’s “Sunday NFL Countdown,” “Monday NFL Countdown,” “NFL Live” and “SportsCenter.” He spoke to the Tom Joyner Morning Show about Riley Cooper, the Philadelphia Eagles player in hot water over his use of the “n” word, his book and what it takes to be a receiver in today’s NFL.
TJMS: What is up with wide receivers these days? What’s up with Riley Cooper?
Cris Carter: Wide receivers we typically keep the action rolling. As far as Riley Cooper is concerned, that’s a very very tough situation. I know the Eagles are trying to rally around him and they might well do that but I don’t think the other players, the ones I’ve talked to in the NFL, are going to rally around him. This is one thing I’d like to tell him do you know how many of my people died and this was the last thing they heard? If he knew that, I think his perspective would be different.
TJMS: So what is the mindset of a wide receiver? You’ve got T.O, Chad Johnson…
They are crazy just like y’all. (Laughs). I’m in that group too. I don’t exclude myself. I just think and I know that there’s a certain personality that’s attracted to the position. When you used to go to football camps everyone wanted to be a running back. Now the running backs are getting phased out of the NFL. Now the basic formation is three wide receivers. You got a football camp now kids either want to be a quarterback or a wide receiver. Not only because catching a football is fun but because of the way you can show off your ability. Now these kids are gravitating to the position because their role models have been T.O. and Chad and these guys have had spectacular career.
TJMS: So tell us one of the craziest things you’ve ever done on or off the field?
I’ve done several things but despite my off the field behavior, I used to hang out. One time in Philadelphia, we went to a club, then we went to another club and then instead of going home I went to the stadium. I told the security guard I’m going to be in my car sleeping, wake me up when they come. I was afraid if I went home, I would oversleep. (Laughs).
(Photo: Middletown Journal)
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25