If you’re a fan of R&B Divas L.A., you may have seen the episode that featured the ladies marrying themselves in a ceremony. They each had to take a deep look at the women they had become and decide if they were really worthy of self-love. The “Will I Marry Me,” exercise asked some thought-provoking questions that got me to thinking about how they could apply to other areas of our lives.
Like on your job.
We do a lot of complaining about the way we are treated in relationships and on our jobs, but how often do we really look at the man or woman in the mirror?
I’m amazed at how many people are only willing to give 40, 50 or, on a good day, 60 percent of themselves to their jobs but still expect to see the benefits of people giving much more.
Don’t expect results that you haven’t worked for. It just won’t happen and it isn’t right.
But beyond that, working hard is the Godly thing to do and there are all kinds of scriptures that back this up.
Colossians 3:23 says “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.”
And Proverbs 14:23 says “In all toil there is profit, but mere talk tends only to poverty.”
There are more but you get the point.
My take on this is to work hard, take pride in a job well done and do a lot less talking about it. We’ll call that the show me – don’t tell me rule.
So, we’re gonna try something. Knowing what you know about you, your work ethic, your commitment, your ingenuity or lack of it, would you hire yourself?
Let’s take a quick assessment of what you really bring to the table and then figure out some ways to improve yourself as an employee.
• What are your strongest attributes?
• What are your weaknesses?
• What three steps can you do on your own that will make you a better worker?
• What three steps can you do with the help of others (classes, networking, mentorships) that will make you a better worker?
Even though your job might not be perfect, what is it allowing you to do that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to accomplish? Is it paying for your house, your education, your children’s tuitions or athletic programs? Has it funded your vacations, hobbies or even allowed you to make the connections, technology and resources, to start your own business?
If you’re being paid by someone to work, you’ve entered into a contract with them, and as tempting as it is to adopt the “do just enough to keep the job,” attitude, you know in your heart that isn’t going to get you very far. Better to give it your best because that’s what you want in return.
Let me know if this struck a chord with you and tell me whether you would or wouldn’t hire yourself and why.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30