If you’re a fan of R&B Divas L.A., you may have seen the episode that featured the ladies marrying themselves in a ceremony. They each had to take a deep look at the women they had become and decide if they were really worthy of self-love. The “Will I Marry Me,” exercise asked some thought-provoking questions that got me to thinking about how they could apply to other areas of our lives.
Like on your job.
We do a lot of complaining about the way we are treated in relationships and on our jobs, but how often do we really look at the man or woman in the mirror?
I’m amazed at how many people are only willing to give 40, 50 or, on a good day, 60 percent of themselves to their jobs but still expect to see the benefits of people giving much more.
Don’t expect results that you haven’t worked for. It just won’t happen and it isn’t right.
But beyond that, working hard is the Godly thing to do and there are all kinds of scriptures that back this up.
Colossians 3:23 says “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.”
And Proverbs 14:23 says “In all toil there is profit, but mere talk tends only to poverty.”
There are more but you get the point.
My take on this is to work hard, take pride in a job well done and do a lot less talking about it. We’ll call that the show me – don’t tell me rule.
So, we’re gonna try something. Knowing what you know about you, your work ethic, your commitment, your ingenuity or lack of it, would you hire yourself?
Let’s take a quick assessment of what you really bring to the table and then figure out some ways to improve yourself as an employee.
• What are your strongest attributes?
• What are your weaknesses?
• What three steps can you do on your own that will make you a better worker?
• What three steps can you do with the help of others (classes, networking, mentorships) that will make you a better worker?
Even though your job might not be perfect, what is it allowing you to do that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to accomplish? Is it paying for your house, your education, your children’s tuitions or athletic programs? Has it funded your vacations, hobbies or even allowed you to make the connections, technology and resources, to start your own business?
If you’re being paid by someone to work, you’ve entered into a contract with them, and as tempting as it is to adopt the “do just enough to keep the job,” attitude, you know in your heart that isn’t going to get you very far. Better to give it your best because that’s what you want in return.
Let me know if this struck a chord with you and tell me whether you would or wouldn’t hire yourself and why.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31