Yesterday I heard Harry Belafonte speak about he and his daughter living with Dyslexia, and following his speech I watched the coolest thing happen. He was being ushered out of the building to go to his next event, and upon seeing me there with my two sons Myles 11 and Malcolm 10 he stopped, pulled them to the side and had a 15 minute conversation with them. Some of it was about my son’s Dyslexia, but much of it was just elder to young person engagement. The boys had heard of him, but didn’t know the significance of the encounter from a historical perspective. But they got it. They got it because they didn’t need to know his resume to feel his spirit. They responded to this old dude who seems really cool and was willing to stop and talk to us, unprompted.
But there is more. Yesterday on the way up to the conference, me and the boys watched Jay Z’s Picasso Baby HBO special. While watching it the boy were interested in who are all these people partying with Jay Z, and while the boys know a little about art, they were introduced to new artists and more important, pop cultures embrace of fine arts (which is not new, but definitely not what our kids see in the main stream). Ok Jeff…….Whats the point.
Here it is. Within 24 hours, my boys were separately and equally inspired by two black men who have been somewhat beefing; not about if to give back, but how and also how to talk to and about each other. This inter-generational duo could be appreciating each other for what they do vs. being in a public debate. But don’t we see this all over the place.
Inter-generational disconnect is not new or specific to the black community. However, our inter-generational strife cripples us in ways other communities are not affected. Whether it is the lack of honor for elders in our families or the inability to embrace young, proven leadership in our organizations, politics and even churches. We have not embraced the word that said “he called the young because they were strong and the old because they know the way”.
This is bigger than Jay and Mr. B, but there is a lesson. Elders, please understand that you do know the way. Be patient with those you see potential in; pull us to the side and talk with us. Protect us from old people who are haters even while you give us tough love through accountability. Young soldiers…be willing to listen. Know the difference between the elders and the old people and embrace and respect the former. Wisdom doesn’t beat strength, it perfects it. Family we need each other now more than ever. Elders, you should have a team of young people you feed. Young people….you should have a team of elders you seek wisdom from. Fight each other and watch our destiny float way. Roll together and watch us win.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31