Under pressure to end their relationship, Davon Smallwood, 25, and Ariana O’Neal (pictured above), 21, both of Queens, New York, committed joint suicide by leaping in front of a train going 80 miles per hour, reports the Daily Mail.com.
A Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) officer discovered a suicide note, next to a black garbage bag filled with clothes, vodka and a can of Coca-Cola, which read:
“Two great people are going to paradise… everything will be good.”
The couple, who left behind a 2-year-old daughter, were allegedly distraught the O’Neal’s mother forbade Smallwood to enter their home after he became involved in illegal activities.
According to the New York Post, O’Neal’s mother did not like Smallwood at all.
“Her mom didn’t want the boyfriend living with all of them,” said her landlord, Kinsley Senio. “She didn’t like him.”
Read more from the New York Post:
The two were arrested earlier this month for allegedly stealing jewelry from a Jamaica, Queens store. A neighbor said they both dyed their hair red recently.
Terri Simmons, who lives directly across from the station, said she had never seen Smallwood before, but often saw O’Neal moping around the area.
She would spend hours sitting on a urine-soaked stairway leading to the railroad platform.
Simmons, 50, said she approached the young woman several times to ask if she was all right, but she never even raised her head.
At around 10:15 p.m. Monday, Simmons heard a “boom” from the bodies’ impact with the Manhattan-bound express train, and ran to the station.
The engineer spotted the couple moments before they leaped in front of his train, but was unable to stop in time, he told investigators.
The impact cracked the windshield.
About 125 passengers were on board the train, which was held at the station for nearly two hours as the couple’s mangled bodies were removed
According to a Long Island Railroad spokesperson, the train originated in Huntington station, and was passing through Hollis station enroute to Penn station going the “maximum allowable speed” when the couple jumped.
The engineer was treated for minor injuries at a nearby hospital and released.
Alleged family members and friends of the couple have been commenting in message boards, passionately defending their relatives. Wrote one poster on Newsday:
“…these two where in love an [afraid]. In the fall of 2012, [Ariana’s] dad left the state with [their] child [and they] haven t seen her since. They lost everything. had no where to go because people disapproved of their relationship. Not everyone is strong; some people are very weak, so don’t judge because most of [y’all] out there have issues. Don’t throw stones if [you] live in a glass house. I knew them both and [their] hearts were heavy. May they rip — praying for both families hers and mine.”
In response to criticism of Smallwood, one family wrote:
“While you guys are judging my cousin, he comes from a family of love. He was and still is loved please refrain from your nasty a$& comments.”
The MTA is asking for anyone with information to please call: 212-878-1001.
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.