Under pressure to end their relationship, Davon Smallwood, 25, and Ariana O’Neal (pictured above), 21, both of Queens, New York, committed joint suicide by leaping in front of a train going 80 miles per hour, reports the Daily Mail.com.
A Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) officer discovered a suicide note, next to a black garbage bag filled with clothes, vodka and a can of Coca-Cola, which read:
“Two great people are going to paradise… everything will be good.”
The couple, who left behind a 2-year-old daughter, were allegedly distraught the O’Neal’s mother forbade Smallwood to enter their home after he became involved in illegal activities.
According to the New York Post, O’Neal’s mother did not like Smallwood at all.
“Her mom didn’t want the boyfriend living with all of them,” said her landlord, Kinsley Senio. “She didn’t like him.”
Read more from the New York Post:
The two were arrested earlier this month for allegedly stealing jewelry from a Jamaica, Queens store. A neighbor said they both dyed their hair red recently.
Terri Simmons, who lives directly across from the station, said she had never seen Smallwood before, but often saw O’Neal moping around the area.
She would spend hours sitting on a urine-soaked stairway leading to the railroad platform.
Simmons, 50, said she approached the young woman several times to ask if she was all right, but she never even raised her head.
At around 10:15 p.m. Monday, Simmons heard a “boom” from the bodies’ impact with the Manhattan-bound express train, and ran to the station.
The engineer spotted the couple moments before they leaped in front of his train, but was unable to stop in time, he told investigators.
The impact cracked the windshield.
About 125 passengers were on board the train, which was held at the station for nearly two hours as the couple’s mangled bodies were removed
According to a Long Island Railroad spokesperson, the train originated in Huntington station, and was passing through Hollis station enroute to Penn station going the “maximum allowable speed” when the couple jumped.
The engineer was treated for minor injuries at a nearby hospital and released.
Alleged family members and friends of the couple have been commenting in message boards, passionately defending their relatives. Wrote one poster on Newsday:
“…these two where in love an [afraid]. In the fall of 2012, [Ariana’s] dad left the state with [their] child [and they] haven t seen her since. They lost everything. had no where to go because people disapproved of their relationship. Not everyone is strong; some people are very weak, so don’t judge because most of [y’all] out there have issues. Don’t throw stones if [you] live in a glass house. I knew them both and [their] hearts were heavy. May they rip — praying for both families hers and mine.”
In response to criticism of Smallwood, one family wrote:
“While you guys are judging my cousin, he comes from a family of love. He was and still is loved please refrain from your nasty a$& comments.”
The MTA is asking for anyone with information to please call: 212-878-1001.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading New York Couple Commits Suicide By Jumping In Front Of Speeding Train