Singer Kelly Price has always struggled despite her enormous vocal talent because of her weight. Even after losing over 100 pounds some years ago, her success has been limited by perceptions about her size. Now the reigning diva on “R&B Divas L.A.,” Price wants to use her newfound reality TV platform to help other overweight-by-Hollywood standards talent get discovered. She is now casting for a new reality series “Too Fat for Fame.”
“I’m really excited about it. I’ve always and to talk about my weight in this industry no matter what it always comes up,” Price told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “Too Fat for Fame” is a reality platform that’s going to be giving plus-size people an opportunity through various challenges to make their way to their own platform. “There are a lot of singers and dancers, actors and actresses, models and television personalities all around who can’t get a yes because they’re plus-sized. So the first prerequisite of the show is that you’ve got to be plus sized but you’ve got to be really talented, too.”
Price is not just looking for singers. She is interesting in seeing anyone who is overweight and looking to showcase their talents. Her aim with this show is to find people whose talent transcends the notion that being plus-sized means a Hollywood career is out of reach, and she’s looking to cast men or women who fit the bill.
“I guess anything that the industry would consider too big, which is almost everybody if you’re not like spaghetti-thin. In my eyes, I kind of know what they look at and say is acceptable and what’s not acceptable.
These are people who are extremely talented and cannot get a foot in the door or get a yes because of their weight.”
As for her role on “R&B Divas L.A.” which is already as successful as it’s original Atlanta version, Price diplomatically says there’s no one diva that overshadows the others (Sybil disagrees, outing Chante Moore as the show’s top diva so far.) When asked if she would vote anyone off the diva island, Price says not yet.
“I don’t think we get to vote. If we could, there might not be anybody left on the show. Truthfully, we all are [divas]. It’s getting interesting and we all get to watch it roll out. I watched with my jaw on the floor last night.”
For “Too Fat for Fame” casting info, click here.
To watch full episodes of “R&B Divas: L.A.” click here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31