Shaquille O’Neal is a big figure in sports. But he’s also a big figure in working to help young people through various charitable programs and the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. He and his mother, Lucille O’Neal, are working together with the Boys and Girl’s Clubs of America, of which Shaq was a member, to help bring awareness to their Back to School initiatives.
“Growing up it was a place that I could go and educate myself and learn my basketball skills,” Shaq told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “Growing up in Newark, N.J. , it was a place that kept me out of trouble. My rules were go over there after school, do your homework, let them check your homework, then you play and then you don’t move until we get there.”
Lucille and Shaq are part of the Boys and Girls Clubs of America’s “Tools for School” campaign which helps gather supplies and other necessities for young people returning to school in the fall. In addition, Lucille encourages parents to keep their kids fresh over the summer so they’re not left behind when school reopens.
“What we do as parents we want to be able to reinforce the significance of learning. Have your kids read a book for a week. Learn how to read a newspaper so that when school is back in session, at least you’ll be ahead of the game. You can never learn enough.”
The Boys and Girls Clubs have a wealth of afterschool programs nationwide that help young people who otherwise wouldn’t have anything to do in the hours between the end of school and when parents come home.
The “Tools for School” program helps kids whose families would otherwise struggle to get backpacks, notebooks and other school supplies that kids need. You can donate to the program via the Boys and Girls Clubs of America website and take a quiz that contributes to the program via every correct answer. Boys and Girls Clubs has partnered with major retailers Michaels, Staples and Disney Stores that have in-store donation bins so that you can directly donate school supplies.
“Kids need to realize that education is very, very important,” Shaq says. “I remember one time when I was a sophomore in college and I came home and told my mother I wanted to go pro. She pulled out a little checkbook and said ‘Balance this.’ And I didn’t have my credits and debits right. She said, ‘You’re not ready yet.’ You have to educate yourself all the time.”
For more information on Boys and Girls’ Clubs of America and the “Tools For School” program, click here.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25