Maybe CNN’s Don Lemon should have stayed home for a while after the explosive weekend he had telling viewers Bill O’Reilly “doesn’t go far enough” in his criticism of black culture.
Though he stayed off the major morning shows, there he was Monday morning sitting in the audience of “The View,” apparently as the guest of Republican strategist and temporary co-host Ana Navarro (who was a guest on his weekend show).
When the camera panned over to Lemon for a quick, impromptu interview about the statements he made that have so many people on both sides of the racial divide fired up this week, he explained to the hosts that he was simply trying to give “suggestions” to African-Americans; like pulling up their pants and stop saying the “n-word.”
Joy Behar responded by asking, “Which part is controversial?”
Lemon didn’t see why what he said caused such a stir, saying: “That’s advice my mother gave me in kindergarten.” He said the pants issue, for example, was just a “symbol of respect,” adding he wasn’t giving advice on how to “end racism” but rather on “self-empowerment” for African-Americans.
Sherri Shepherd hit the nail on the head when she said it was Lemon’s comments involving Bill O’Reilly people really “took umbrage” with.
“I don’t want to give Bill O’Reilly license to say anything,” Shepherd said, “because he’s never been a young black man.”
Out and Proud Celebrities
25 photos Launch gallery
1. EJ Johnson
1 of 25
2. Robin Roberts announced her sexual orientation on Facebook in 2013. (Photo: AP)
2 of 25
3. CNN Anchor Don Lemon
3 of 25
4. Previously married to a man for seven years, Wanda Sykes officially came out in 2008.
4 of 25
5. NBA player Jason Collins
5 of 25
6. Fitness trainer Shaun T came out in 2013 and married his longtime boyfriend.
6 of 25
7. Michael Sam announced he was gay in an ESPN interview.
7 of 25
8. Singer Meshell Ndegeocello is an open lesbian and huge advocate for gay rights.(PR)
8 of 25
9. Orlando Cruz is the first active, openly gay boxer.
9 of 25
10. Elton John announced he was gay in 1976, and has been openly out since. (PR)
10 of 25
11. Director and Producer Paris Barclay has been with his partner for 14 years. (PR)
11 of 25
12. R&B singer Frank Ocean recently divulged to the world that his first love was a man. (AP)
12 of 25
13. André Leon Talley, fashion icon and editor at Vogue Magazine. (PR)
13 of 25
14. TV personality and hair stylist Miss Lawrence.
14 of 25
15. Singer Melissa Etheridge announced she was a lesbian in 1993 and has been a huge gay rights activist since. (PR)
15 of 25
16. "Precious" and "The Butler" director Lee Daniels
16 of 25
17. Andre Charles or famously known as drag queen RuPaul has been openly gay for many years. (PR)
17 of 25
18. Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi have been married for four years. (PR)
18 of 25
19. Famous Latino singer Ricky Martin finally came out as gay in 2010. (PR)
19 of 25
20. Famous Choreographer Bill T. Jones is openly gay. (PR)
20 of 25
21. Former N'Sync band member Lance Bass announced he was gay in 2006. (PR)
21 of 25
22. "Fast Car" singer Tracy Chapman. (PR)
22 of 25
23. Anderson Cooper came out in an open email to fans. (AP)
23 of 25
24. Celebrity hair Stylist and TV personality Derek J.
24 of 25
25. Catwalk coach Miss J. Alexander.
25 of 25