KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A car came crashing into a Kansas City day care center Tuesday when a sport utility vehicle rear-ended a parked Cadillac, injuring the SUV’s driver and three children, police said.
The Cadillac was parked and had no driver when the Range Rover rear-ended it, pushing it into the day care and trapping two children under the Cadillac. Three injured children and the SUV’s driver were in stable condition at a hospital, and the injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, said Kansas City police Capt. Tye Grant.
The injured children were among about 40 inside the Christian Academy Child Care east of downtown around 1 p.m. when the accident happened. Police said the SUV’s driver was “approximately 80” years old. A utility pole also was struck, Grant said.
The cause of the crash was under investigation. As neighbors milled around watching, crews pulled the smashed SUV from the building several hours after the crash, making visible a pile of rubble inside the day care center. Several child-sized chairs were strewn on the sidewalk outside.
“We are holding all comments until we get some clear facts,” said day care director Dena Washington as she waited behind a nearby house for parents — several of them crying — to pick up their children.
Curtis Sawyer, whose 1- and 2-year-old children attend the day care, said he rushed to the area after receiving a phone call about the accident.
“It was shocking to me,” said Sawyer, 33, as he held the older child in his arms. “I’m just glad my kids are safe, and I’m sorry for the kids that got hurt. My heart and prayers go out to their families.”
Sharon Washington said she was feeling “very relieved” as she walked up to the center to visit with staff. Three of her grandchildren — ages 5, 8 and 1 — attend the center but were staying with her when the accident happened.
“We were lucky we weren’t in the day care,” said her 8-year-old grandchild, Timmisha Washington. “They ran over me and my brother’s classroom. We lucky. We lucky.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25