It should come as no surprise that CNN weekend anchor Don Lemon is catching shade for agreeing with Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly‘s anti-black community comments. In fact, Lemon went a step further and said O’Reilly didn’t go far enough.
Black folks took to Twitter and other social media to let Lemon know his remarks were not appreciated. Among them is MSNBC contributor/analyst Goldie Taylor. Here’s what she said:
Just saw Fruitvale Station. Heard Lemon remarks. There is nothing I can say. Yet. I just have to wonder. Exactly which America does he live in?
But if I had a dollar for every turn coat mofo who made it up and out, then cut the rope ladder behind him…
…they get to thinking that good money, good suits and good manners will make them see you differently…
I’ll tell you what though. If you step to the plate, your behind better be ready to take a pitch…
Here’s a taste of what Lemon detractors at large are saying:
Trudy: Wow. I guess Don Lemon making career moves. Career moves while Black = throw other Black ppl under the bus. Smh.
Magnus Bane: Don Lemon feels that he’s THE exception. That’s perfectly fine. He’ll see eventually how he’s viewed by his white counterparts.
Alejandro NIGlesias: If you follow Don Lemon‘s 5-step anti-Hip-Hop plan racism magically ends?
Anthea Butler: I was tired of @donlemoncnn when he was tweeting those wack prosperity sermons every sunday. Not surprised by this.
Valérie: Next racial draft we’re giving @DonLemonCNN to the whites. I don’t even wanna trade him for anyone. Just give him away
Sunja Montice: @DonLemonCNN must be real THIRSTY for him to try to speak for all AA’s and throw our black men under the bus. Are his ratings that bad?
And not surprisingly, Lemon has found fans on the right, like Newsbusters’ Noel Sheppard:
“I wish Obama would have been as honest with his race speech as @DonLemonCNN was!”
As Mediaite points pout, Lemon isn’t getting a lot of love for his “tough love” point of view, but there are some:
Michael Skolnick: tremendous about of respect for @DonLemonCNN but his “tough love” approach for black America forgets that some yng people don’t have “boots”
Brendon310: I think we need tough love I have to agree with @DonLemonCNN that its time to teach kids the right things to do.Thanks sir!
Ebong Eka: I’m baffled by the visceral reaction @DonLemonCNN is receiving for stating obvious problems in the community. People who own it, can fix it!
Buddy Love: Okay…I just saw what Don Lemon said…I don’t get why people are so offended?
If you missed Don Lemon’s comments, see them below and Lemon’s response to criticism:
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31