Though mainstream media rushed to paint killer George Zimmerman, 29, as a “hero” after allegedly rescuing the Gerstle family from an overturned SUV on a Florida highway, the family does not want to be affiliated with the man guilty of killing unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
As previously reported by NewsOne, Zimmerman was one of two men who came to the aid of the Gerstle family of four: Dana, 41; Mark, 52; and their two children, Sadie and Matthew, when their blue Ford SUV rolled over on a highway in Seminole County, Fla., 5 days after he was found “not guilty” of second-degree murder.
Zimmerman’s defense attorney, Mark O’ Mara, smugly made the news rounds to discuss how the convenient rescue was “quintessential George,” when according to police records, a young female cousin, and the cavalier slaying of Trayvon Martin, “quintessential George” is a violent, sexual predator accustomed to not being held accountable for his actions.
The Gerstle family was scheduled to hold a press conference Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. but decided against it.
Confirmed: Family helped by George #Zimmerman cancels news conference. O'Mara spokesman: "They don't want to be associated with George."—
bob kealing (@bobkealing) July 24, 2013
O’Mara commented on the “sad” cancellation to reporters:
“I think what happened with them today was they were very worried, and I think were advised by some family and friends, that they really should not get involved with anything having to do with George Zimmerman,” defense attorney Mark O’Mara told reporters.
“And that’s really sad that they can’t even say that George did something good for them because people out there believe he is still so toxic,” he added.
Speaking on the convenient timing of the accident, O’Mara brushed off speculation that the accident was somehow staged to paint Zimmerman in a more favorable light:
“I will acknowledge it was awfully coincidental for five days after the verdict but it was not set up or staged,” said O’Mara. “Really, do you think we would have set up a family of four on the side destroying an SUV for this?”
Actually, yes. I know you didn’t, but do I think you’re capable?
Does it make sense?
But neither does following an unarmed Black child because he’s “suspicious,” shooting him at close range through the heart because you’re losing a fight, then criminalizing and placing him on trial from the grave, with a predominantly White jury ultimately deciding that the “suspicious,” “violent,” dead Black child caused his own death.
If I had to place money on which one makes more sense, I’d go with staging the accident.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Rescued Family: We Don’t Want To Be Associated With George Zimmerman [VIDEO]