The founder of of Radio and TV One, Cathy Hughes is one of the top Black women in media. So it’s fair to say she’s seen a lot of the of the best of what entertainment and culture has to offer. If she’s taking the time out of her busy schedule to promote something that’s not even on her network, it must be pretty superb. On a new TV One special, Hughes talks to the cast of the Broadway show, “The Trip to Bountiful” for which legendary actress Cicely Tyson won a Tony Award this year. “TV One Takes The Trip to Bountiful with Cathy Hughes” airs on Thursday, July 25 at 8 and 11 p.m.
“My mother used to rave about having seen Paul Robeson on Broadway. I’m raving about seeing Cicely Tyson on Broadway,” Hughes told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “It is unbelievable that one human being, particularly a human being playing fourth quarter ball in her life could do eight performances a week – the only member of the cast who has missed not one performance. And it’s an animated performance – she sings, she moves, she grabs people.
“She’s in every scene. It’s the most incredible theatrical performance of our time, and it’s been overshadowed by “Motown: The Musical.” Everyone’s going to see Motown, but it’s going to be there. This play was produced by Black folks so they don’t have a long run. That’s the reason I did the special, because not only is [Tyson] great, but Condola Rashad, Phylicia’s daughter, Omigod is this girl good! It’s a once in a lifetime theatrical production and Black folks need to be flocking up there to see it and take some white folks with you.”
Hughes is not an investor in the production, she’s just a fan. “A Trip to Bountiful” was originally a TV movie that became a theatrical release in 1985, winning Geraldine Page a Best Actress Oscar. The Broadway play is a triumph of so-called “color-blind” casting, as the characters were not originally intended to be African-American.
“When it came to me it was in trouble,” Hughes says. “And then Cicely won the Tony for the number one actress on Broadway right now. What a great year for African-Americans on Broadway – four winners this year. You all please go see “The Trip To Bountiful” on Broadway at the Sondheim Theater. It’s there until September.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25