Derwin is still missed. Although the actor that plays him, Pooch Hall, has moved on to a new show “Ray Donovan” on Showtime, playing the biracial love child of Sheryl Lee Ralph and Jon Voight, “The Game” is still very much a part of his past. It’s the show that made him famous, though neither he nor Tia Mowry-Hardict, who played Melanie, returned for Season 6. Though it’s normal for people to move on from shows for another opportunity, Hall has had to repeatedly set the record straight on exactly how his departure came about.
“For the record, I didn’t get fired. I didn’t walk away,” Hall told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “My contract came up, I promise you. We were negotiating and we just couldn’t come up with a number. So my team said we’re going to send you out [on auditions]. I literally just got back from New York, I think I did “Rip the Runway” and I booked “Ray Donovan” the next day. “
Hall says the Showtime series knew about his commitment to BET and was willing to let him do both shows, even potentially discussing Voight appearing on “The Game” as well. But according to Hall, BET took so long responding to his agent, that he had to move forward.
“I never quit, and this is what I want people to understand. When “The Game” first got cancelled I got another job on “Accidentally on Purpose.” I made a deal and when “Accidentally on Purpose” g0t cancelled, I had two years where I could work over there. I believe everyone else got three. We were trying to work on the numbers and we couldn’t’ agree and my team said we’re sending him out and I literally booked “Ray Donovan” a week [later].
And then Showtime was like – it’s cable so they can do things differently – I can still do “The Game.” I told [my agent] ‘I’ll take the deal [at BET].’ They never returned my agent’s phone calls or emails for a long time. I couldn’t understand it. I’ve never done anything wrong over there. It’s all good. I think I’m where I’m supposed to be.”
Though the two actors once described themselves as “brothers from another mother” the relationship between Hall and actor Hosea Chanchez, who plays Malik on “The Game:” has apparently cooled. The two were caught up in a Twiter beef earlier this year when Chanchez, who is not a regular on Twitter, responded to what he felt were negative tweets from Hall about his departure from “The Game.” You can read that exchange in its entirely here.
“I just want to say also I have no problem with Hosea,” Hall said. “I never said anything negative about BET. The stuff happened when Tia left and she put out the statement that she wasn’t returning and the fans went crazy. With that being said, I wasn’t sure where I stood because I hadn’t heard back from them. I was talking to Mara (Brock Akil, creator of “The Game”) giving her the updates on “Ray Donovan” but we still had no deal in place. The only thing I did was retweet what the fans were saying to BET like ‘don’t mess this up.’”
Hall’s move to ‘Ray Donovan” seems like a good one, regardless as the show, about a Hollywood fixed played by Live Schreiber who has some serious daddy issues with his ex-con father played by Voight has already been picked up for a second season. Catch it on Showtime Sunday nights at 10 p.m.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31