Derwin is still missed. Although the actor that plays him, Pooch Hall, has moved on to a new show “Ray Donovan” on Showtime, playing the biracial love child of Sheryl Lee Ralph and Jon Voight, “The Game” is still very much a part of his past. It’s the show that made him famous, though neither he nor Tia Mowry-Hardict, who played Melanie, returned for Season 6. Though it’s normal for people to move on from shows for another opportunity, Hall has had to repeatedly set the record straight on exactly how his departure came about.
“For the record, I didn’t get fired. I didn’t walk away,” Hall told The Tom Joyner Morning Show. “My contract came up, I promise you. We were negotiating and we just couldn’t come up with a number. So my team said we’re going to send you out [on auditions]. I literally just got back from New York, I think I did “Rip the Runway” and I booked “Ray Donovan” the next day. “
Hall says the Showtime series knew about his commitment to BET and was willing to let him do both shows, even potentially discussing Voight appearing on “The Game” as well. But according to Hall, BET took so long responding to his agent, that he had to move forward.
“I never quit, and this is what I want people to understand. When “The Game” first got cancelled I got another job on “Accidentally on Purpose.” I made a deal and when “Accidentally on Purpose” g0t cancelled, I had two years where I could work over there. I believe everyone else got three. We were trying to work on the numbers and we couldn’t’ agree and my team said we’re sending him out and I literally booked “Ray Donovan” a week [later].
And then Showtime was like – it’s cable so they can do things differently – I can still do “The Game.” I told [my agent] ‘I’ll take the deal [at BET].’ They never returned my agent’s phone calls or emails for a long time. I couldn’t understand it. I’ve never done anything wrong over there. It’s all good. I think I’m where I’m supposed to be.”
Though the two actors once described themselves as “brothers from another mother” the relationship between Hall and actor Hosea Chanchez, who plays Malik on “The Game:” has apparently cooled. The two were caught up in a Twiter beef earlier this year when Chanchez, who is not a regular on Twitter, responded to what he felt were negative tweets from Hall about his departure from “The Game.” You can read that exchange in its entirely here.
“I just want to say also I have no problem with Hosea,” Hall said. “I never said anything negative about BET. The stuff happened when Tia left and she put out the statement that she wasn’t returning and the fans went crazy. With that being said, I wasn’t sure where I stood because I hadn’t heard back from them. I was talking to Mara (Brock Akil, creator of “The Game”) giving her the updates on “Ray Donovan” but we still had no deal in place. The only thing I did was retweet what the fans were saying to BET like ‘don’t mess this up.’”
Hall’s move to ‘Ray Donovan” seems like a good one, regardless as the show, about a Hollywood fixed played by Live Schreiber who has some serious daddy issues with his ex-con father played by Voight has already been picked up for a second season. Catch it on Showtime Sunday nights at 10 p.m.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30