Spike Lee has been the nation’s leading Black cinema artist for many years. His groundbreaking film “She’s Gotta Have It” was released in 1986, and along the way Lee has made several memorable films including “Mo’ Betta Blues” “Jungle Fever” and his polarizing “Do The Right Thing.”
Although he’s not given the credit he deserves for it, he’s also boosted the careers of Samuel L. Jackson, Wesley Snipes and Denzel Washington, among others, including Oscar winner Halle Berry, who made her film debut in “Jungle Fever.”
Today Lee is asking his fans for help. His latest feature, due out October 25, is an American remake of the violent Korean film “Oldboy” starring Josh Brolin and Samuel L. Jackson. On that film, as he was with 2006’s“Inside Man” he is a hired gun doing a studio project. On his own, though, Lee wants to do a new film “about people addicted to blood” and he’s joined Kickstarter to ask for funding assistance.
“There’s a new thing called crowd-funding where you get your fans, your public to help you finance your film,” Lee told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “We’re doing it on a vehicle called Kickstarter. I’m trying to raise $1.25 million dollars. It’s a thriller. We’re not calling it a vampire movie. You can be addicted to blood and not be a vampire.”
Lee says that fans of the cancelled TV show “Veronica Mars” raised over $5 million to support the upcoming movie, and fans of the TV show “Scrubs” chipped in $3 million to help its star, Zach Braff, make his next film “Wish I Was Here. “ Kickstarter and other sites like it are what artists are increasingly turning to for funding for movie, TV and music projects.
Lee further explains that while you’re not an investor in any of the Kickstarter projects so you don’t profit, if you have $10,000 to invest you’ll get dinner and courtside Knicks seats with Lee. For $5,000 you get an associate producer credit.
But even if you’re not a baller, you can participate and support your favorite filmmaker in affordable contributions as well, ranging from $5 and up. Everyone who contributes will get something, from a tweet from Lee for smaller donors to inside information on the film’s production to the aforementioned Knicks game
“We’re doing good,” says Lee. “But it’s a grind. You’ve got to get out there every day.” In it’s first day, Lee has raised $17,000 plus dollars but there are only 29 days left to contribute. If he doesn’t reach his goal by August 21, Kickstarter returns the money to contributors and Lee’s next film may not get made.
There’s not much more Lee is willing to say about the film’s content.
“Here’s the thing. [People] are so conditioned today to knowing every thing about a movie. You watch a trailer today, you don’t have to go see the movie! We want there to be some element of surprise so you don’t know exactly everything that’s in the film.”
Lee says that the average Hollywood blockbuster has a budget of $100 million and that indie films, which have much more of a limited return, are harder to make.
“This summer there were 29 sequels or prequels,” Lee says. “They’re not making those type of films. I don’t really make films with people blowing up. I don’t think “Do The Right Thing” would be made today.”
Click here to help fund Spike Lee’s next film via Kickstarter.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25