Black newspapers in particular played a key role in American history. The first were founded in the early 1800s as an outlet for abolitionist sentiment and action. By the turn of the century, nearly every major city had a Black newspaper focused on the issues that the general dailies did not cover. Guthrie, the territorial capital of Oklahoma, alone had a dozen Black newspapers in 1900. Key issues such as segregation, voting rights, police brutality and racial discrimination found a first and important voice in these papers.
Now, however, Black papers are facing the same economic pressures of their general market counterparts – lower ad rates, readers moving to the Internet and escalating print costs.
Some of the newspapers whose daily print versions have become extinct since 2008 include Chicago Free Press, Christian Science Monitor, The Democrat, The Independent, New York Press, The Observer, The Sentinel, The Sun and Sun Tribune. Many newspapers that are still in business have reduced printing, shifting from being a daily periodical to a weekly periodical like The Atlanta Daily World.
Good and credible websites and blogs have emerged to fill some of this void. Here at Interactive One, we publish Newsone and partner with theGrio, a property of NBC News. The Washington Post publishes the ROOT. Millions of people go to these and other sites every day to get news and opinion from a Black perspective.
But there is still a place for the Black newspapers. Their historic legacy, deep community relationships,journalistic integrity and well-known brands can be the foundation for a strong future. The newspapers must transition to a digital world, and like other newspapers that often comes with disruption and pain.
And they cannot do it alone.
We have built a scalable platform at Interactive Onethrough our Studios program that helps brands accelerate their digital strategies cost effectively.
We are excited to announce that we are currentlydeveloping a relationship with Real Times Media, a company that owns some of the most respected Black newspapers in the country, including The Chicago Defender, The Michigan Chronicle and The New Pittsburgh Courier. We hope that this will be a model for other Black papers so more news will be accessible in the digital world.
This means that local urban communities can connect with and strengthen ties with other communities, share tools and services, and focus on what they do best, building the best local content. It also allows an easy way for Chicago tolearn what is happening in Detroit and Detroit to learn what is happening in Pittsburgh, drawing connections and critically analyzing national issues that affect the larger Black community in the United States and the world.
By embracing the digital shift, Black newspapers can remain the local “watchdog” for relevant issues and continue to bolster the Black community economically, culturally and spiritually.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂