Black newspapers in particular played a key role in American history. The first were founded in the early 1800s as an outlet for abolitionist sentiment and action. By the turn of the century, nearly every major city had a Black newspaper focused on the issues that the general dailies did not cover. Guthrie, the territorial capital of Oklahoma, alone had a dozen Black newspapers in 1900. Key issues such as segregation, voting rights, police brutality and racial discrimination found a first and important voice in these papers.
Now, however, Black papers are facing the same economic pressures of their general market counterparts – lower ad rates, readers moving to the Internet and escalating print costs.
Some of the newspapers whose daily print versions have become extinct since 2008 include Chicago Free Press, Christian Science Monitor, The Democrat, The Independent, New York Press, The Observer, The Sentinel, The Sun and Sun Tribune. Many newspapers that are still in business have reduced printing, shifting from being a daily periodical to a weekly periodical like The Atlanta Daily World.
Good and credible websites and blogs have emerged to fill some of this void. Here at Interactive One, we publish Newsone and partner with theGrio, a property of NBC News. The Washington Post publishes the ROOT. Millions of people go to these and other sites every day to get news and opinion from a Black perspective.
But there is still a place for the Black newspapers. Their historic legacy, deep community relationships,journalistic integrity and well-known brands can be the foundation for a strong future. The newspapers must transition to a digital world, and like other newspapers that often comes with disruption and pain.
And they cannot do it alone.
We have built a scalable platform at Interactive Onethrough our Studios program that helps brands accelerate their digital strategies cost effectively.
We are excited to announce that we are currentlydeveloping a relationship with Real Times Media, a company that owns some of the most respected Black newspapers in the country, including The Chicago Defender, The Michigan Chronicle and The New Pittsburgh Courier. We hope that this will be a model for other Black papers so more news will be accessible in the digital world.
This means that local urban communities can connect with and strengthen ties with other communities, share tools and services, and focus on what they do best, building the best local content. It also allows an easy way for Chicago tolearn what is happening in Detroit and Detroit to learn what is happening in Pittsburgh, drawing connections and critically analyzing national issues that affect the larger Black community in the United States and the world.
By embracing the digital shift, Black newspapers can remain the local “watchdog” for relevant issues and continue to bolster the Black community economically, culturally and spiritually.
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!