Black newspapers in particular played a key role in American history. The first were founded in the early 1800s as an outlet for abolitionist sentiment and action. By the turn of the century, nearly every major city had a Black newspaper focused on the issues that the general dailies did not cover. Guthrie, the territorial capital of Oklahoma, alone had a dozen Black newspapers in 1900. Key issues such as segregation, voting rights, police brutality and racial discrimination found a first and important voice in these papers.
Now, however, Black papers are facing the same economic pressures of their general market counterparts – lower ad rates, readers moving to the Internet and escalating print costs.
Some of the newspapers whose daily print versions have become extinct since 2008 include Chicago Free Press, Christian Science Monitor, The Democrat, The Independent, New York Press, The Observer, The Sentinel, The Sun and Sun Tribune. Many newspapers that are still in business have reduced printing, shifting from being a daily periodical to a weekly periodical like The Atlanta Daily World.
Good and credible websites and blogs have emerged to fill some of this void. Here at Interactive One, we publish Newsone and partner with theGrio, a property of NBC News. The Washington Post publishes the ROOT. Millions of people go to these and other sites every day to get news and opinion from a Black perspective.
But there is still a place for the Black newspapers. Their historic legacy, deep community relationships,journalistic integrity and well-known brands can be the foundation for a strong future. The newspapers must transition to a digital world, and like other newspapers that often comes with disruption and pain.
And they cannot do it alone.
We have built a scalable platform at Interactive Onethrough our Studios program that helps brands accelerate their digital strategies cost effectively.
We are excited to announce that we are currentlydeveloping a relationship with Real Times Media, a company that owns some of the most respected Black newspapers in the country, including The Chicago Defender, The Michigan Chronicle and The New Pittsburgh Courier. We hope that this will be a model for other Black papers so more news will be accessible in the digital world.
This means that local urban communities can connect with and strengthen ties with other communities, share tools and services, and focus on what they do best, building the best local content. It also allows an easy way for Chicago tolearn what is happening in Detroit and Detroit to learn what is happening in Pittsburgh, drawing connections and critically analyzing national issues that affect the larger Black community in the United States and the world.
By embracing the digital shift, Black newspapers can remain the local “watchdog” for relevant issues and continue to bolster the Black community economically, culturally and spiritually.
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell