There are a bunch of new contenders in the daytime TV race. If you have a vajajay, a public profile and an opinion, you’ve probably been hired on one of the new shows targeting the female audience currently dominated by Ellen DeGeneres, Dr.’s Phil and Oz and “The View.” (Wendy Williams, while not as popular overall, is most visible to the urban market.) That’s much more talk than what seems necessary. Wading through all the newest offerings is difficult as new shows are coming down the pike every day. Here’s a cheat sheet to figure out what’s what and who’s who.
THE REAL (Fox)
Who: Adrienne Bailon, Loni Love, Tamar Braxton, Tamara Mowry Hounsley, Jeannie Mai
When: July 15 in seven markets, including Philly and D.C.
Concept: Take a few famous faces, combine and see if they click in a “View” like way
Summary: The younger, hipper, “View?” Well, most of “The View,” even with the recent acquisition of Jenny McCarthy, is of a certain age, but that hasn’t yet impacted their ratings. They’re supported by demographics that indicate baby boomers will be the largest population very soon and a long run at the top of the daytime talk show heap. “The Real” is trying hard to touch every demo with two Black hosts, an Asian host, a biracial host and a Hispanic host. So far, actress/singer/reality TV star Bailon has been surprisingly impressive while the others, well, not so sure we’d commit to DVR’ing just yet.
THE QUEEN LATIFAH SHOW (CBS)
Who: The artist formerly known as Dana Owens
When: September 16
Concept: The new Oprah
Summary: Although she’s tried and failed at this before, Queen Latifah’s at it again, with a daytime talk show coming this fall. We’re really not sure why she’s back, since her first go-round as a talk-show hostess failed. Maybe, as a full-figured Black woman the producers figure she can step into void Oprah left? Sorry, but Wendy Williams was born to TV and Latifah seems forced as a peppy talk show host. We haven’t seen the show yet, obviously, but that’s our initial take.
Who: Kris Jenner, money-making matriarch of the Kardashian clan
When: Now, in a six-week preview
Concept: Advice from reality TV’s favorite mom
Summary: As if the Kardashians aren’t overexposed enough, Mama Jenner takes on daytime with her new show. She’ll cover typically Kardashian topics – fashion, beauty, makeup, hair, fashion…did we mention fashion? No report on whether she’ll cover how to make a killing in reality TV, which is what we really want to know. Will her and her family’s already significant media exposure help or hurt her? Given what we’ve already seen on “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” we don’t know. She’s debuted to strong ratings thus far. But of course, there’s little completion for new programming in the summer.
Who: Former Essence editor Angela Burt-Murray, actress Malinda Williams, Erin Jackson, “Awkward Black Girl” Issa Rae and former CBS anchor Rene Styler
Concept: An all Black “View”
Summary: When you have to preface half the folks on the show with jobs they used to have or you don’t know them at all, that’s going to be a hard sell. All of the women are accomplished, polished and articulate, but unless you’re already an Issa Rae fan from YouTube, Malinda Williams is probably the best known of the bunch. The all-Black crew may work for Aspire but obviously limits their reach. The fact that “Exhale” airs on Aspire, Magic Johnson’s new network, limits it more. But for Aspire, it may prove to be a win given there’s not much of a bar to reach just yet.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31