There are a bunch of new contenders in the daytime TV race. If you have a vajajay, a public profile and an opinion, you’ve probably been hired on one of the new shows targeting the female audience currently dominated by Ellen DeGeneres, Dr.’s Phil and Oz and “The View.” (Wendy Williams, while not as popular overall, is most visible to the urban market.) That’s much more talk than what seems necessary. Wading through all the newest offerings is difficult as new shows are coming down the pike every day. Here’s a cheat sheet to figure out what’s what and who’s who.
THE REAL (Fox)
Who: Adrienne Bailon, Loni Love, Tamar Braxton, Tamara Mowry Hounsley, Jeannie Mai
When: July 15 in seven markets, including Philly and D.C.
Concept: Take a few famous faces, combine and see if they click in a “View” like way
Summary: The younger, hipper, “View?” Well, most of “The View,” even with the recent acquisition of Jenny McCarthy, is of a certain age, but that hasn’t yet impacted their ratings. They’re supported by demographics that indicate baby boomers will be the largest population very soon and a long run at the top of the daytime talk show heap. “The Real” is trying hard to touch every demo with two Black hosts, an Asian host, a biracial host and a Hispanic host. So far, actress/singer/reality TV star Bailon has been surprisingly impressive while the others, well, not so sure we’d commit to DVR’ing just yet.
THE QUEEN LATIFAH SHOW (CBS)
Who: The artist formerly known as Dana Owens
When: September 16
Concept: The new Oprah
Summary: Although she’s tried and failed at this before, Queen Latifah’s at it again, with a daytime talk show coming this fall. We’re really not sure why she’s back, since her first go-round as a talk-show hostess failed. Maybe, as a full-figured Black woman the producers figure she can step into void Oprah left? Sorry, but Wendy Williams was born to TV and Latifah seems forced as a peppy talk show host. We haven’t seen the show yet, obviously, but that’s our initial take.
Who: Kris Jenner, money-making matriarch of the Kardashian clan
When: Now, in a six-week preview
Concept: Advice from reality TV’s favorite mom
Summary: As if the Kardashians aren’t overexposed enough, Mama Jenner takes on daytime with her new show. She’ll cover typically Kardashian topics – fashion, beauty, makeup, hair, fashion…did we mention fashion? No report on whether she’ll cover how to make a killing in reality TV, which is what we really want to know. Will her and her family’s already significant media exposure help or hurt her? Given what we’ve already seen on “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” we don’t know. She’s debuted to strong ratings thus far. But of course, there’s little completion for new programming in the summer.
Who: Former Essence editor Angela Burt-Murray, actress Malinda Williams, Erin Jackson, “Awkward Black Girl” Issa Rae and former CBS anchor Rene Styler
Concept: An all Black “View”
Summary: When you have to preface half the folks on the show with jobs they used to have or you don’t know them at all, that’s going to be a hard sell. All of the women are accomplished, polished and articulate, but unless you’re already an Issa Rae fan from YouTube, Malinda Williams is probably the best known of the bunch. The all-Black crew may work for Aspire but obviously limits their reach. The fact that “Exhale” airs on Aspire, Magic Johnson’s new network, limits it more. But for Aspire, it may prove to be a win given there’s not much of a bar to reach just yet.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
29 photos Launch gallery
1. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
1 of 29
2. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
2 of 29
3. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
3 of 29
4. Jus haaaanngin out
4 of 29
5. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
5 of 29
6. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
6 of 29
7. new new
7 of 29
8. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
8 of 29
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 29
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 29
11 of 29
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 29
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 29
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 29
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 29
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 29
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 29
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 29
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 29
20 of 29
21. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
21 of 29
22. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
22 of 29
23. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
23 of 29
24. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
24 of 29
25. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
25 of 29
26. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
26 of 29
27. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
27 of 29
28. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
28 of 29
29. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
29 of 29